Can I do this partial mash in my 2 gallon cooler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vince805

Reaction score
I bought a 2 gallon igloo cooler and folding steamer to make the same mini mash tun that revvy did here. I ordered a couple partial mash kits from austin homebrew and the grain bags are 4.25 and 4.3 lbs Would I be able to do these in my 2 gallon cooler or should I upgrade to coleman 5 gallon?

Ok, I just found this site http://www.krotchrott.com/calc.html and under "Can I mash it?" I put 4.3 lbs and it says this will take 1.69 gallons, so I think I should be good. Also I am going to be changing the mlt to use a stainless braid instead of the strainer.

Anybody have anything to add to this, or does it look like I should be good to go?

It sounds like it will be fine for that. Though I'd recommend not putting too much into that set up as you'll likely want a bigger mash tun down the road.

Don't forget the temp of your grain. It takes more (or hotter) water if your grain is colder. It's good to store grain in the fridge, but take it out a day or two before use.

While your 2 gallon should work well as proposed, you could think towards a 5 gallon should the desire to AG presents you will then be all set.

Back