How long until I know a rhizome won't grow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slothrop

Reaction score
I planted one each Cascade and Chinook rhizome, the Cascade popped out of the ground after about three days but the Chinook hasn't done anything after about three weeks.

I dug up the Chinook and it hasn't sprouted at all, is it safe to assume it has gone bad? Just wondering if I should order another while I still can for this year.

I had a similar situation this year myself - got impatient after ~ 3 weeks, dug it up and low and behold, not a sprout in sight. The rhizome was kinda soft and gooey too.... i think at that point, its pretty safe to say, its not going to sprout....

You know, that's funny ( not really) but my chinook did the same. No sprouts or roots, I planted it like all my others and when I checked on it it was soft and gooey. All my others came up fine, they drain well etc.

I planted six at my friend's place and he's been tending them for me. Four have come up. He poked around where we planted one of the others and it was GONE!

I suspect alien abduction.

The truth is out there!!

I planted my first 4 rhizomes last week!:rockin: 3 sprouted a few days ago, but the other one hasn't peaked out yet. Cascade, Mt. Hood, and Willamette sprouted. Goldings hasn't.

I'll probably order a couple more just in case, if I don't need them I'll secretly plant them in my neighbor's yard.

Hard to say really.

A year ago I cleared out my hop yard. I lietrally removed all the crowns, loosened the soils to 18" to clear out any straggler roots by hand, and then used a broad spectrum
plant killer.

This weekend I was trenching in some trellis supports for veggies and found a dozen pencil thick roots. Still very viable. Apparently, not even an act of GOD can kill these things out.

Hows this for a haiku?

Wait how long until,
Within my garden so green,
a rhizome wont grow?

Wow thats a bad one....

I too had a chinook that didn't come up. Also a Saaz. Ended up ordering plants from High Hops since I didn't want to risk another one not coming up.

It's been a year without a spring here is hop growing country (NW Oregon), so I was patient when things were kind of late getting going. However, just when I had finally given up on my 2nd year Glacier...2 days ago a couple of tiny shoots finally broke above the surface.

So I guess you never know.

I ordered, received and planted two more Chinook rhizomes from freshops. They have been in the ground about a week and they have not sprouted at all, my original Chinook has done nothing either after about a month, so that's a total of three that have possibly failed but the one Cascade is about two feet tall.

Moral of the story, don't order Chinook rhizomes from freshops.com.

Moral of the story, don't order Chinook rhizomes from freshops.com.

I disagree.. I ordered all of my rhizomes from freshops this year.

Centennial, Chinook, Mt. Hood, Willamette, Magnum, Columbus, and 2 cascade.

All 8 came up... yes, even the Chinook.

I disagree.. I ordered all of my rhizomes from freshops this year.

Centennial, Chinook, Mt. Hood, Willamette, Magnum, Columbus, and 2 cascade.

All 8 came up... yes, even the Chinook.

Did all of your rhizomes have buds on them when they arrived? Mine didn't other than the Cascade, they just look like sticks with a string of a root hanging off.

No, not all of them had buds/shoots. The first batch almost all did though.

The Columbus was impressive with buds all over, the magnum and mt. hood had a couple things that looked like they might be roots, but no buds.

I ordered a second batch that included chinook, cascadeX2, and the willamette and they all just looked like sticks. I was sorta disappointed, but sprinkled them with rooting hormone and planted. Sure enough, they all sprouted within 2 weeks or so.

you might try e-mailing them and tell them you've had no success with the chinooks and see if they can send a freebie. If it was just one failure I'd chalk it up to that's the way things go with plants, but if you've paid for three and they've all failed I think they should probably hook you up.

Ok thanks, I'm just trying to gauge whether or not the number of buds determines the growth success. Maybe I'll try some sort of root stimulant.

Yeah I emailed them to see what they say, waiting to hear back.

I ordered Magnum from Fresh Hops and they have been in the ground since April 7th. They are at least four feet tall righ now. My Centennials from last year have reached the top of the chimney already. I think I am going to get a couple of pounds from the Centennials. I'm optomistic about getting enough to brew with of the Magnums too. Just hoping. Good luck with your hops!

I planted six at my friend's place and he's been tending them for me. Four have come up. He poked around where we planted one of the others and it was GONE!

I suspect alien abduction.

The truth is out there!!

Same thing happened to me. It wasn't aliens though, it was Alabama politician Alvin Holmes.

When I planted my rhizomes some of them took nearly 2 months to come up and that first year only grew a couple feet with no hops at all. 2nd year they were great. Don't assume that they are dead just because they are slow to start. They may be dead but it's not guaranteed.

When I planted my rhizomes some of them took nearly 2 months to come up and that first year only grew a couple feet with no hops at all. 2nd year they were great. Don't assume that they are dead just because they are slow to start. They may be dead but it's not guaranteed.
Thanks for the info. I think the rhizome that shot up after 3 days raised my expectations for all the others, I'll try to exercise some patience.

Latest posts

Back