American IPA Peach Wheat India Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
1 liter
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
< 1.065
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
14.8 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
This is by far the best beer I have brewed to date, great hop/peach aroma and taste!
Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 75.47 %
2.00 lb Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 15.09 %
1.00 lb Caraamber (30.0 SRM) Grain 7.55 %
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 1.89 %
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 21.2 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (45 min) Hops 19.5 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (30 min) Hops 6.9 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 4.5 IBU
1.00 oz Liberty [4.30 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
4.00 lb Peaches, frozen (Secondary 2.0 weeks) Misc

Beer Profile
Measured Original Gravity: 1.065 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.011 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 7.05 %
Bitterness: 52.0 IBU C
alories: 290 cal/pint
Est Color: 14.8 SRM

single infusion at 151

I had to post this one in the IPA section and the fruit beer section. Measured OG at 1.065 before the peaches, 4# of peaches fermenting I am gussing adds 1-2% more ABV to the party. Final ABV > 8.00.

This beer is REALLY good. I like magic hat #9, but I wanted something a little more over the top. The wheat gives the beer a body and smoothness that I wasn't expecting, and a very tall thick white head to the beer that lasts until the end. First taste is of citrus/pine from the cascade giving away to sweet peaches on the finish. Very satisfying citrus/spice/peach aroma to the beer as well. I would have thought with the ramped up ABV there would have been some hot alcholol aroma or taste, but there is none to speak of. This is a dangerously smooth and tasty beverage. I will brew it again.

I know the hardcore may not like a beer with fruit, but trust me..this one has some backbone and is worth a try if you are in the mood for something different.

I don't think I would change a single thing on this recipe..it was a great success....I'll post a pick of the finished product in glass asap

sounds tasty. can't wait to see pics. I think I might give this a shot. what would subbing a pound or two of wheat for the pale malt do for this beers body? would it still be good, you think? thanks

This beer was one of my best, I think if I did it again I would split the pale and wheat malts 50/50. 6# Pale and 6# wheat, the beer was super, super drinkable but to enhance the peach flavors next time, I think I would mash a bit higher, at like 155 so that I could get the beer (before the peaches) to end up at about 1.020.....then when you add the peaches it ferments again and really drys out.

I think I only have 3 bottles of this one left, and they are just crystal clear and still have great peach flavor.

This one sounds great! I wish I had ran across this last summer when I found peaches for $.39 a pound. If I do this summer you can bet this will be a go.

I haven't brewed this again, but I probably should. It was darned tasty. Looking back I think an English Strain like WY1275 that could add a little fruity esther would be a great choice to compliment the peach.

Yeah, that might be great. If I brew this one this summer, I'll post any questions I have here. Thanks!

I'm going to officially brew this tomorrow.

Did you dry hop a week after fermentation or from the get go of fermentation

I'm going to officially brew this tomorrow.

Did you dry hop a week after fermentation or from the get go of fermentation

Dry hop late in the process. I know more about brewing now, I would actually dry hop last. After the peaches.

I brewed this yesterday. What color was the beer after brewing? Mine looked liked a nut brown ale or something like that. It will be an interesting beer with the color and taste profile that comes out of it.

I brewed this yesterday. What color was the beer after brewing? Mine looked liked a nut brown ale or something like that. It will be an interesting beer with the color and taste profile that comes out of it.

It does come out a little darker, nothin to worry about there.

Back