Anyone Ever Try This?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5gBrewer

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried skipping the 'priming' stage of bottling by simply timing the bottling so that you are capping not-quite-done-fermenting beer? If the timing is right, you should be able to have the beer finish fermenting out, and get carbonation. Though you'd probably have to let a beer like this age for a longer time for flavors sake.

I don't think I'm ever going to try doing this, but I had the thought, and had to ask :fro:

5gB

I might consider this with a keg (probably not) but I would be too worried about bottle bombs to try it with bottles. Priming adds about 2 gravity points so you need to bottle the beer when there are 2 points left to ferment for proper carbonation without bombs. Can you know accurately enough what your FG is going to be?
Now adding fermenting beer to a beer just about to be bottled is a technique that is better understood and more likely to be successful.

Craig

The problem is I don't think most brewers here have enough control over their fermentations to reliably predict where the beer will end up. However, with a good finishing hydrometer, of course, it's theoretically possible.

I think a similar and more predictable technique would be to bottle with krausen from a simultaneously fermenting batch. For example, if you have two pale ales, one done with secondary and one at high krausen, you could siphon off a measured amount of the wort in primary, measure the SG, calculate SG * volume to determine how much sugar you have, and or subtract a little wort to compensate, and then bottle.

I know an HBTer or two has tried that technique and I know some commercial breweries do it as well. It strikes me as being substantially more predictable because the yeast is being mixed with a yeast with a known terminal gravity... and the wort being added is a smaller proportion of the whole amount in secondary, so there is less opportunity to miscalculate your expected FG.

I can see the value in priming with high-krausen wort. I cannot, however, see the value of doing this unless you have a REALLY nice set up that is well protected from risks of infections. With couple of siphon tubes and an open bottling bucket thrown into the mix, I don't think the risks are worth the rewards.

Latest posts

Back