Question about raising fermentation temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ace3's carboy

Reaction score
I've done some searching but haven't found quite the answer I'm looking for, so here I go.

The ambient temp in my apartment is between 62 and 65F, which is fantastic for all of my ale fermenting needs, but I'm really wanting to make a saison with wyeast 3724. I know fermwrap could help out, but I don't think I would be able to get up to near 90 degrees. I know an aquarium heater would absolutely do the job, but I'm worried about the humidity that a small pool of near 90 degree water in a 62-65 degree environment would create.

The only thing I can think of is making a fermentation box out of insulation board and hoping that will help the fermwrap to add more than 20 degrees to the beer.

Would this be feasible?

Do you have access to a heating pad?, Ive used those with great success. In all honesty though, I've never tried to make a saison when its not summer time. That yeast has a well deserved reputation as being very cranky. I don't think I would risk it if you aren't sure you can keep the temps up.

I bottle carb and ferment with an aquarium heater. All you need is some way to loosely cover the water to hold in the humidity. I use leftover plastic tub covers. Anything would work, probably even some aluminum foil. You don't need a great (or even good) seal to keep evaporation down.

Seedling heater may not give off enough heat

Thanks for the suggestion on the covering of the aquarium heater, RunBikeBrew.

I'm also finding rubber heating pads for cold floors that claim 120-130 degrees and auto overheat shut downs. That with a temp controller in an insulation fermenting box might work really well too.

No one has asked the obvious which is why is your apartment so dang cold? 65 reasonable in the middle of Winter but 62? I would be divorced. :)

Aquarium heater with some carved styrofoam on a keg chiller tub works for me for warm ferms.

No one has asked the obvious which is why is your apartment so dang cold? 65 reasonable in the middle of Winter but 62? I would be divorced. :)

Aquarium heater with some carved styrofoam on a keg chiller tub works for me for warm ferms.

What can I say... I love it a bit cold. In the winter it works out even better since I don't need to spend nearly as much for heating. Of course I make up for that and then some by keeping it around 65 in the summer.

I did a Saison at 88 this summer and put it in a tub of water with an aquarium heater to hold the water temp up. Worked like a charm. Given the mass of the tub of water and the primary, it also kept a very stable temp.

Back