Just finished my first Wit, I am ready for summer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humann_brewing

More Humann than human
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well I forgot to start taking pictures at the beginning, but here goes, I brewed BMs impromtu Wit I guess you could call it, look here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/just-another-brew-day-pics-99893/

Anyways, here goes, I used WLP400 instead so S-04 as I really wanted that wit taste. Here is the starter and yes it is that ghetto.

P1040864.JPG

Next are some of the ingredients, fresh orange zest, coriander, pepper, tea

P1040869-800.jpg

Then the dog wanted to let me know she was ready to brew too.

P1040870-800.jpg

Closeup of the crushed goodness, this stuff smells so good I was about the rub it on a steak and grill it up

P1040871-800.jpg

Boiling time with the hops floating in a painters straining bag. I couldn't find long enough carrige bolts to finish my hops strainer so this was the comprimise

P1040875-800.jpg

More ingredients

P1040876-800.jpg

Ever had one of those nutty brewnettes?

P1040878-800.jpg

sealed up until I threw them in to preserve all the freshness I can

P1040879-800.jpg

I brewed this saturday as well. Hydro sample was very flavorful. I used Y3944 Wyeast Belgian Wit yeast and my blowoff had stopped vomiting this morning when I checked on it. fermenting at 68F. I'm going to be adding a normal airlock tonight.

Thanks I will add some more pics of the fermentation which has been moving along very nicely. I am not getting the citrisy smell so much as other describe about a fermenting wit.

How was that zester to use? I just made a wit with a grater style zester and it was a pain in the ass to zest and i got an orange paste instead of actual zest

How was that zester to use? I just made a wit with a grater style zester and it was a pain in the ass to zest and i got an orange paste instead of actual zest

It worked great, just a couple second learning curve to figure out which way you are suppose to pull on the thing. The SMWBO got it but now I have a reason to use it :)

I used a regular grater as well but used the largest holes on it. Got a lot finer grate than Humann but it worked. The bigger strips would have been nice for straining though :)

Back