inline temp probe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerthirty

big beers turn my gears
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
found this, http://sharkacomputers.com/thlicosyinte.html and thought it would be good for CFC'sand maybe herms. I have an Email in to find out about power source and connector material(SS?). It only goes to 194*F, but once through a CFC would drop the temp below that. I have seen the brew shop ones that use a liquid crystal type thermometer and wasn't to impressed for the price. any opinions on this.

You can get one of these for a few bucks cheaper:

440146.jpg

I was looking at one of these for my CFC, but holding the thermometer probe as it comes out works ok for now

yep that is the one I saw and wasn't to impressed, plus the temp range is much narrower. the one I linked has a wide enough temp range to allow it to be used for recirculating mashes, sparges, cooling wort just by putting it inline to the pump. the included connectors would fit any application we might have without buying extra parts. And dare I say it, it's just plain cool.

I can see your point on the recirculating mash deal. I've been using it on the out end of my CFC for my last 4 or 5 batches and it's a great tool.

You can get one of these for a few bucks cheaper:

440146.jpg

I have a general question on these. Does boiling temperature hurt the LCD material? At the very least, I would think that the adhesive might get a little soft. Like most, I sanitize my CFC by running the still boiling liquid through it with no coolant running. I suppose you could sanitize the thrumometer separately, but that is a pain.
This would be easy to make. Just stick a carboy thermometer on a piece of copper tubing with a hosebarb at each end.

That's a good question. I believe there is a warning on it not to pass through hot liquids at a certain temp, but I don't recall for sure. I sanitize the CFC by pumping sanitizer through it with my auto-siphon.

This could be a good use for those infrared thermometers. Just run the wort through copper tubing and shoot the thermo at the copper. The copper should provide a predictable temp difference since its such a poor insulator.

I wouldn't run out and buy one of them but if you happen to have one this would be a good use for it related to brewing.

the original temp probe that is linked above has been replaced with this http://www.sharkacomputers.com/thfltxpl.html . Although the temp range is the same and the display appears the same they have made changes to the probe and fitting that no longer make this a good choice for our application. also power source is external 12VDC. I am checking availability of old stock from the original one as well as a couple others I recently found with built in power supply.

its good for

Range: 0°C to 90°C (32°F to 194°F)

so unless your passing boiling water should be ok.

Back