Lazy magnolia's southern pecan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammer one

Reaction score
I was just in Miss and tryed this brew its awsome dose anyone have an all grain for this? check out there web page www.lazymagnolia.com they have a list of grains & hops but no yeast.

I was actually thinking about this beer today, weird. I have been wanting to try it and I am heading down that way in May.

A member here, Spyk'd, is a brewer there. I am sure he will chime in. If I had to guess, from the 67% attenuation they use something like WLP002.

this brew was so good I tracked down a case before I left town if nobody comes up with anything close I'm going to have a lot of slightly different brown beers around

Beerrific where are you in Ga I'm in Jefferson I'm willing to part with a 6 if your interested

hammer one said:
Beerrific where are you in Ga I'm in Jefferson I'm willing to part with a 6 if your interested

Avondale Estates, 10 miles east of ATL. I would be interested if we ever find ourselves in each others neighborhood.

We have it on tap at a couple of bars around Pensacola.
I heard that Abita rents the recipe for their seasonal bear Pecan Harvest, don't know if its true or not??
I also heard they just started bottling it recently, mostly available in kegs, I've never seen a bottle of it.
I would love an AG recipe for it, its good stuff.

GreatWhiteSlark said:
Alabrew in Birmingham, AL has an AG clone of this. It comes really, really close to the real deal.

Thanks for the heads up! The local stores started carrying Magnolia and I like it a lot. Alabrew is my LHBS.....

Alabrew is pretty nice. Prices are not too bad and they are are always helpful.

Southern Pecan is bit expensive where we are even though we're in the same state. $9-10 for a 6pack or $75 for a 5 gallon keg. Great beer, just dang expensive.

I'm right now secondaring the Alabrew AG Clone, so in about a week or so, i'll post it's initial impression. It used California Ale Yeast. I'll post the grain bill + Hops used when I find the recipe later.

EDIT:
From Lazy Mag's website:

Grains used
Maris Otter, caramel malt, wheat, roasted pecans
Hops used
Domestic magnum and tettnang

JoSeR said:
We have it on tap at a couple of bars around Pensacola.
I heard that Abita rents the recipe for their seasonal bear Pecan Harvest, don't know if its true or not??
I also heard they just started bottling it recently, mostly available in kegs, I've never seen a bottle of it.
I would love an AG recipe for it, its good stuff.

Ok, you got my attention. Yes, I work at Lazy Magnolia. I'm the Packing/Personnel Manager.

Here's what I can tell you: Abita does not use our recipe for their Harvest Pecan. Their's uses pecan extract and is completely devoid of any kind of body. Based on that I know about their brewing practices, I wouldn't be surprised if they just took their Amber and added pecan extract to it. That's all I'll say about that.

What I can't tell you is the exact recipe, but you are on the right track with the ingredients already listed. Just remember to heavily roast your pecans and don't overdo them and compensate for the oils that come out of them with wheat malt and CaraPils. As for the yeast, try Safbrew S-33.

It is true that we just started bottling Southern Pecan in December and it will be a little expensive in bottles in most areas away from the Gulf Coast, based on availability. We simply cannot bottle fast enough to keep up with the demand! (Good problem to have).

We are hiring right now at the brewery in anticipation of the arrival of our three new 60BBL fermenting tanks. We'll need brewers to help keep those tanks full and I've been interviewing for the past three weeks. If interested, please submit your resume through the website and it will come to me.

For those interested in visiting the brewery, we do tours every Saturday at 10:30AM. Email me for more information or questions: [email protected].

Thanks for all the kind words regarding Southern Pecan. We should have another flavor available in bottles within the next three to six months.

Cheers y'all!

:mug:

olllllo said:
Thanks for posting that Spyk'd.
I lurked this thread hoping you would find it, the whole time wondering whether we should out you.

I don't mind people knowing that I work at LM and am always happy to help out in regards to questions and information regarding the company and the beers!

:cross:

Spyk'd said:
It is true that we just started bottling Southern Pecan in December and it will be a little expensive in bottles in most areas away from the Gulf Coast, based on availability. We simply cannot bottle fast enough to keep up with the demand! (Good problem to have).
Indeed! I keep going to McDade's only to find 1 or 2 various type Party Pigs and no bottles at all. When it's in stock, I grab a six pack for sure. It is delicious beer that I wish I could afford keep constantly on tap.

Spyk'd said:
Here's what I can tell you: Abita does not use our recipe for their Harvest Pecan. Their's uses pecan extract and is completely devoid of any kind of body. Based on that I know about their brewing practices, I wouldn't be surprised if they just took their Amber and added pecan extract to it. That's all I'll say about that.

I had both, side by side about a month ago and my unrefined tasting agrees to all of that. The Southern Pecan just simply has more flavor and body to it. This isn't to say the Abita "Harvest Pecan" isn't good. I'm just saying that Southern Pecan is what the ideal should be if you want a beer with pecans.

If you are passing through Birmingham, AL give Alabrew a call and stop by. They are very friendly especially to us LHBS-less folks in MS.

Anywho, Alabrew's Clone looks to be pretty close:

10.5# of Muntons Pale Ale (Marris Otter Pale Ale Malt)
.75# Muntons Crystal 60L (should sub out for caramel maybe 40L? or cara-pils)
.25# Weyermann Light wheat

Bitterness 15
Target Hops 1 oz I think (i spilled some wort over that during cleanup)
tettnang .5oz 30mins
tettnang .5oz 15mins

I used Chriso's Scottish 80/- Pecan as a guide to getting the pecans prep'd. (just used the same recipe switched with walnuts for the my current batch)

Thanks Spky'd for speaking up in here. My roomate and I really need to come down there one weekend and bring a couple of other local homebrewers with us.

Congrats on the expansion and hope we can start seeing more here in Jackson.

I'm glad I started this thread, even more glad I checked back. just 1 Q... how many pounds of pecans for a 5gal batch? Also congrats on the expansion! it's great when you hit the nail on the head

I threw them in the mash. It'd be interesting to see how'd it taste if you threw them in the last 10-15 minutes. May do that for the next iteration.

Thanks Clutchdude. Are you thinking later mash addition would give you lest roasty and more pure pecan?

I'm very fascinated by the pecan thing. Particularly since the Lazy Magnolia version is apparently all that and a bag of chips and my chances of tasting it on the west coast any time soon seem pretty slim. I'm wondering how it would work in something on the sweeter side, say a doppelbock.

I'm not sure about a sweeter pecan beer, Lazy Mag has hit it on the head IMHO. I couldn't imagine it getting much better. Then again, I might be biased towards the local brewery...

I appreciate the feedback, GreatWhite. I will definitely attempt a clone of the original first and maybe try and find a way to get a bottle . . . or 6 :D

Sorry. I was thinking of the last 15 minutes of the boil. Use it rather as a flavoring in the end.

Halfway through the mash might be interesting too. Talking about all of this is making me want to take a swig out of the secondary and see how it's doing.

Spyk'd said:
Ok, you got my attention. Yes, I work at Lazy Magnolia. I'm the Packing/Personnel Manager.

Didn't mean anything by it, I had just heard it somewhere, glad its not true. Love you're beer.
As for bottling, I drink it by the pitcher when I'm out at the bar anyway:mug:

Thanks again all for the kind words regarding Southern Pecan!

In regards to the pecans, I'd recomend mashing them and layering them towards the bottom, so they won't float up on you. 4-8oz for a 5 gallon batch sounds just about perfect.

Keep up the good work!

:p

I took a stab at this using beer tools
10.0lbs maris otter
1lb caramel malt 20L
.25lbs carapils
.25lbs torrified wheat
.25lbs chocolate malt (for color)
.5oz magnum (25min)
.5oz tettnanger (10min)
.5oz tettnanger (flame out)
safbrew S-33 yeast
OG 1.060
color 17.5 SRM
bitterness 19.79
let me know what you think.

i was with hammer one when we discovered the pecan, wow, thats really really good beer.:drunk: and we found cases at mcdades grocery! :ban: now, about the roasting, how roasted? time and temp? hammer has a convection oven so it should be easy to avoid burning the pecans but the roasting i would think is an important part of this brew process. or, are they pan roasted?:confused:

Taken from Chriso's Scottish 80/- Pecan Ale

Pecans were toasted at 300F for 10 minutes in a single layer, then poured into a paper bag to sit out overnight, hopefully getting some of the oils out of them. Pecans were roasted 10 minutes at 400F till slightly smoking. Poured into another paper bag.
Pecans were finally roasted for 10 more minutes at 350F for about 8 minutes, again, just until slightly smoking.
Between each roast, I used a flat-style crowbar and smashed as many whole nuts as I could in order to expose the maximum amount of surface area.

hammer one said:
I took a stab at this using beer tools
10.0lbs maris otter
1lb caramel malt 20L
.25lbs carapils
.25lbs torrified wheat
.25lbs chocolate malt (for color)
.5oz magnum (25min)
.5oz tettnanger (10min)
.5oz tettnanger (flame out)
safbrew S-33 yeast
OG 1.060
color 17.5 SRM
bitterness 19.79
let me know what you think.

Looks good. Gravity a touch higher than the OG listed on their site but what's a % of kick between friends :) I've worked up my own, very similar to yours:

8.5lbs american 2 row
0.75lbs wheat malt
0.75lbs carapils
1lb American crystal 40L
0.25lbs american chocolate
8oz roasted pecans (using method in this thread)
Mash 154 for 60 min
0.5 magnum 30 min
0.5 tetts 15 min
Estimated OG 1.056
SRM 14
IBU 22

I'm a little over on bitterness and under on color. I might alter my hop schedule to closer match hammerone's: do 0.5 at 10 min instead of 15 and another 0.5 oz at flameout.

I'm going to brew it this weekend. Suggestions welcome!

I've been drinking on my clone for a few days, hoping to get some good thoughts. My tasting ability is pretty limited (I knows what I likes) but I did get Southern Pecan, Pecan Harvest From Abita and my Clone. I used crackers to balance my test out between the three.

The clone was slightly sweeter and maltier than the Southern Pecan, but lacked the real ale and "nut" flavor that it held. It's color was also MUCH lighter than expected. I would say though that it beat the Abita variety hands down. Abita just seemed to lack the body and taste compared to the other two.

Again, it was my unscientific tasting with my brain dead taste buds. so ymmv.

I'm trying out Hammer One's Recipe this/next week. I'm going to try a different way of toasting the pecans. Perhaps even throw a few into the boil to see if I can get some aroma from them.

The clone was slightly sweeter and maltier than the Southern Pecan, but lacked the real ale and "nut" flavor that it held. It's color was also MUCH lighter than expected. I would say though that it beat the Abita variety hands down. Abita just seemed to lack the body and taste compared to the other two.

Again, it was my unscientific tasting with my brain dead taste buds. so ymmv.

I'm trying out Hammer One's Recipe this/next week. I'm going to try a different way of toasting the pecans. Perhaps even throw a few into the boil to see if I can get some aroma from them.

I don't have access to either original, but my version has been on tap for several weeks and never had much of a nutty flavor to it . . . maybe just the slightest suggestion of a hint of pecan.

I'm gonna take a stab at this one. They must use a lot of crystal malts to have a FG of 1.018 form an OG of 1.055:

7 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) 69.77 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) 9.30 %
12.0 oz Carapils/Dextrin (Briess) (1.5 SRM) 6.98 %
8.0 oz Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) 4.65 %
8.0 oz Special B (147.5 SRM) 4.65 %
8.0 oz Wheat Malt, Dark (8.0 SRM) 4.65 %
16.00 oz Pecans, Roasted (Mash)
0.50 oz Magnum [11.50 %] (60 min) 17.3 IBU
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.80 %] (15 min) 3.6 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min)
1 Pkgs SafBrew Ale (DCL Yeast #S-33)

OG: 1.054 SG
ABV:4.82 %
Bitterness:
20.9 IBU
Color:
17.2 SRM

What do you think?

So how did it come out, Poobah? You going to post it in Recipe section once you get it perfected?

I have two well producing Pecan trees both of different varieties, and a black walnut as well. I have bazillions pecans but not very many walnuts. I was thinking of a pecan brown ale (may as well add a half pound or two to next weeks brew!), but thanks for this thread I'll try it out sometime.

How do you add that to Brewsmith?

I have two well producing Pecan trees both of different varieties, and a black walnut as well. I have bazillions pecans but not very many walnuts. I was thinking of a pecan brown ale (may as well add a half pound or two to next weeks brew!), but thanks for this thread I'll try it out sometime.

How do you add that to Brewsmith?

In for later, I'm going to be working on this one soon.

bump bump. anyone have feedback on the posted recipes in this thread? :ban::ban:

Ok, as a huge fan of the LM Southern Pecan, I'm going to have to try this.... But I haven't stepped in to all grain brewing yet... I'm mostly just brewing extract kits with specialty grains steeped at the beginning just before the boil.

So I used the recipe builder at brewmasters warehouse to come up with an extract version of this recipe.
(http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/brew-builder)

Briess 2 Row Caramel 120 - 1 lbs
Briess Sparkling Amber Liquid Extract - 6 lbs
Briess Bavarian Wheat Dry Extract - 1 lbs
Magnum, .5 oz @ 60 mins
Tettnang, .5 oz @ 15 mins
SAFALE S-33

OG - 1.059
FG - 1.015
IBU - 20.6
SRM - 17.62
ABV - 5.76

Also I plan to include the .5 lb of roasted pecans in a bag for the 1/2 of my boil (total 60 min).

I've never done this sort of thing, so any feedback or advice is certainly welcomed. Does it look like I'm on the right path? Or have I missed something obvious?

Thanks!

Back