Looking for recipes for All Grain GF ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cainepolo12

Reaction score
If anyone has any ideas for AG brews, I am looking to do my first one. I have built a semi automated 20 gallon rig so temps would be greatly appreciated as well.

That guy could have at least credited Andrew Lavery, given that his mash schedule is almost word-for-word from Andrew's 2006 PDF's with the units changed to imperial. Sure, they are well-known temperature ranges and such, but Andrew took the time to put them together and come up with a procedure that anybody can follow.

If you're doing malted millet, I did a 3-gallon batch with 6 lbs pale millet and 1 lb C-40 crystal millet, with rests at 120°F (15 min), 135°F (15 min), and 158°F (60 min) with a mash-out at 185°F for 5 min. I hopped with 0.25 oz horizon at 60 min, 0.75 oz cascade at 15 and again at 5. S-04 yeast. Made a delectable blonde ale that tastes so much like barley-based beer I almost did a spit-take when I first tried it. I was also shocked at how mellow the citrus of the cascade hops came out--not the overpowering grapefruit I usually get with a sorghum (or other unmalted-grain) base. You could easily swap out the cascades for anything, the base is nice and smooth and malty and could easily be hopped more aggressively. Of course this was done with Grouse malts, not sure how CMC malts will perform on the same recipe.

I wish I had read Andrew Lavery's information before I did my all grain buckwheat batch. I possibly could have saved a lot of pain and agony with stuck sparge.

Back