First time Citra user

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBC

Reaction score
Hey guys: this is a first time use of citra. I have on hand Columbus and Centennial as well.. therefore- here is my recipe. Your thoughts/suggestions on late additions and integration of Citra is what I am interested in.

Thanks!

2 Row: 12lb
MO: .5
Flaked Oats (for purposeful haze and mouthfeel): 1lb
Crystal 40: .4lb

Hops:
1oz Columbus - 60min
.5oz Centennial - 15min
.5oz Citra - 5 min
.5oz Centennial (dry hop)
.5oz Citra (dry hop)

I did a gallon batch with all Citra, turned out great, but you have to like the Citra flavor.

For my gallon I did:
0.25oz. At 60min.
0.25oz. At 15 min.
0.5oz. At end of boil

Used honey for priming.

revejb said:
I did a gallon batch with all Citra, turned out great, but you have to like the Citra flavor.

For my gallon I did:
0.25oz. At 60min.
0.25oz. At 15 min.
0.5oz. At end of boil

Used honey for priming.

Are there any commercial beers that just use Citra? Wouldn't mind trying one or two to see what the fuss is about!

Are there any commercial beers that just use Citra? Wouldn't mind trying one or two to see what the fuss is about!

Three Floyds Zombie Dust is all citra I believe. I don't know how widely distributed that is, but its well known around Chicago at least

I did a pale ale with Citra, Centennial and Cascade in equal parts including 1.5oz dryhop (0.5oz each) and it was the best beer I've made hands down. Awesome hop for pale ales and IPA.

Thirsty Dog has a Citra IPA called Citra Dog.

I make a pale ale that is an ounce of Citra @ 10 min, and 2 ounces at FO (hopstand at 170 for 45 minutes). I don't even dry hop it, though it would be tasty that way as well. Actually tastes very similar to Citra Dog (just fewer IBUs and obvious lack of dry hop).

Good stuff if you like the hop. I know some don't. I get a lot of mango from Citra.

Yeah your recipe should turn out good. I get mango notes from it also, a tropical fruit kind of thing but it is also a little dank to me. Pairing it with simcoe or columbus accentuates that.

Ditch the columbus and substitute centennial. The late use of citra is spot on.

I would keep the columbus, I've used it with the citra specifically and it works well. 3 of my favorite hops. I really like the recipe, please post up the results....might have to retro-engineer this.....lol.

NewkyBrown said:

I don't know about commercial, but at Market Garden/Nano Brewery in Cleveland is maybe the best beer I have have, Citramax, but it is only available in the brew pubs on site. So come to Cleveland and enjoy!

I would keep the columbus, I've used it with the citra specifically and it works well. 3 of my favorite hops. I really like the recipe, please post up the results....might have to retro-engineer this.....lol.

Me too....I did an IPA a few months back where I bittered with Columbus and dry hopped with Columbus and Citra in equal portions with a few charges. Turned out fantastic--super citrusy but just enough herbal to keep it complex.

HBC, as for your recipe you could add a little more to the dry hop with the Citra, but if .5 oz is what you prefer, go for it.

Thirsty Dog has a Citra IPA called Citra Dog.

I make a pale ale that is an ounce of Citra @ 10 min, and 2 ounces at FO (hopstand at 170 for 45 minutes). I don't even dry hop it, though it would be tasty that way as well. Actually tastes very similar to Citra Dog (just fewer IBUs and obvious lack of dry hop).

Good stuff if you like the hop. I know some don't. I get a lot of mango from Citra.

I just found your comment on google after staring at my empty bottle of Citra Dog. I would love the exact recipe if you'll give it up.

I don't know about commercial, but at Market Garden/Nano Brewery in Cleveland is maybe the best beer I have have, Citramax, but it is only available in the brew pubs on site. So come to Cleveland and enjoy!
having one now, was looking for a recipe on it. Cheers

Well...in fairness, if I was searching for info on a specific brew with few links to follow, I might also have swung by here with an ask and a lot of hope :)
I can only offer the attached "Citra-centric" recipe of mine which I have been enjoying bigly (I love Citra!) to a presumed fellow fan.
Note I was using up the end of a bag of Briess Brewers Malt and could have gone all GP and Pilsner mix instead...

Cheers!

all_your_citra.jpg

Yeah, I just got a chuckle out of it....and I DO love Citra, esp. paired with Mosaic.....

Back