Mash-out??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ApothecaryBrewing

Reaction score
So I am rather new to AG and I batch sparge. In my research, I noticed mention of this mash-out step. It lead me to believe I was leaving a step out of my brew day but I didn't understand it fully.

I mean it is relatively straight forward. You are adding water to raise the temp to kill any more conversion activity. My confusion comes in regards to how this relates to sparging.

Is this a step that is only required for those who fly sparge? Or as a batch sparger, is this something I should concern myself with as well?

I figured when I batch sparge I am effectively doing a mash out while I am sparging but I am not sure?

Could anyone clarify, please?

you are thinking in the right direction. i wouldn't get too concerned with mashing out unless you are looking to add a point or two to your efficiency. i batch sparge as well and will sometimes use a given amount of the sparge water to boil up and add first to reach mash-out temp for 10 minutes, or so. then, vorlaugh, drain, and finally add the rest of the sparge water. I hope that denny sees this post and chimes in, as he is the godfather of batch sparging and usually is quick to reply on this topic. hope that helps, or at least adds to the discussion.
:mug:

I haven't mashed out yet after 20 batches. I might try it once my process is sound otherwise.

I'm still dealing with tannins, unfiltered hot break, poor cold break, poor ph control, and bad recipes.

Thanks for the reply! I just figured if I am batch sparging, that raises the grain bed temp to a point where activity stops anyway so I didn't see a point to mashing out.

Latest posts

Back