Burton-esque EPA Clone recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seriousbeef

Reaction score
Hey folks, got my next brew here I just wanted to run it past you see if you think its ok. This is basically a Burton EPA clone, but I made some adjustments because I'm going full boil extract on this one! (never gone full boil before) Quite low bitterness on this one.

OG 1.042 FG 1.012 3.9%
25 IBU's
SRM 8.5

5.5lb light DME
1.1lb UK crystal 50L
0.8oz Challenger @ 60m
0.3oz Goldings @ 15m + campden tablet
0.5oz Goldings @ flame out

Top it off with some Windsor ale yeast

Anything that comes to mind that might improve this?
Cheers

Looks like you are doing a 6 US Gallon (5 Imperial Gallon) batch.
I'd cut the crystal down to 8 oz (225 g) I think the 500g crystal would be a bit cloying.
I'd also bump up the Challenger addition a bit. If the beer has Burton in the name/description, it should be hoppy
Are you sure you want to add a campden tablet with the 15 minute addition:confused:
I personally cannot stand Windsor yeast. I much prefer S-04 for an EPA. Actually, I prefer liquid yeasts, but S-04 is the best dry yeast I have found for an EPA.

Good luck, and feel free to ignore this if you disagree with me.
[edit]
If you've never done a full boil before, I would check that your heat source is capable of boiling the required volume by trying to boil the required volume of water before brewing.
[/edit]
-a.

Are you sure you want to add a campden tablet with the 15 minute addition:confused:
I personally cannot stand Windsor yeast. I much prefer S-04 for an EPA. Actually, I prefer liquid yeasts, but S-04 is the best dry yeast I have found for an EPA.

[edit]
If you've never done a full boil before, I would check that your heat source is capable of boiling the required volume by trying to boil the required volume of water before brewing.
[/edit]
-a.

Well...I live in an area in the UK with hard chlorinated water. Never used campden tabs before, but figured they are the only way to get it out

And thanks for the yeast tip!

And yes, I have a kettle capable of boiling that up, I will be doing a practice run to calc. boil off. I estimated that pre boil vol. you see there, probably looking around 1.3 gal per hour boil off. Does that sound right to you?

Forgot to add my volumes didn't I! It would all make much more sense!

I am aiming for a 7.7gal pre-boil volume and yes, a final batch of 6 gal.

You want to get rid of the chlorine (if it's excessive) before starting to brew. If your water supplier doesn't use chloramines, then collecting the water the day before you brew and leaving it exposed to the air should be enough. If they do use chloramines, then adding a campden tablet to the collected water overnight should work. I have never found it necessary to get rid of the chlorine in either UK or the US.

1.3 gallons per hour sounds like a high boil-off rate to me. I boil off about 1 gallon per hour using a propane burner, but much less if I use the kitchen stove, but an experiment with your equipment should give you an accurate result.

As regards the crystal, I would just use 225 - 250g crystal with the DME. That change will make virtually no difference to your O.G.

-a.

I bought aftermarket heating elements for our electric stove on amazon. They'll bring 3 gallons from mash/sparge temp to boiling in 18 minutes. Unfortunately,boil off is about 1.25 gallons per our with the knob on "high" or "9" on those that express it that way. I'll be on 9 pretty soone. Good coffee run a bit ago,24oz of Jamaican Blue Mtn. Highest caffiene coffee in the world. :rockin:
Anyway,I'm beginning to thing a gas outdoor burner might be better so as to control the boil off rate more accurately. I jst hate freezin my cahoons off bein outside.

I bought aftermarket heating elements for our electric stove on amazon. They'll bring 3 gallons from mash/sparge temp to boiling in 18 minutes. Unfortunately,boil off is about 1.25 gallons per our with the knob on "high" or "9" on those that express it that way. I'll be on 9 pretty soone. Good coffee run a bit ago,24oz of Jamaican Blue Mtn. Highest caffiene coffee in the world. :rockin:
Anyway,I'm beginning to thing a gas outdoor burner might be better so as to control the boil off rate more accurately. I jst hate freezin my cahoons off bein outside.

Precisely. Im using 2 x 2.4kw elements, electric brewing, so you can imagine the boil off is substantial. Thanks for the tips anyways!

Back