Bottled my first batch today!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
English Brown Ale in primary for 16 days @ 70F

It turned out to be about 3 gallons worth and I got 28 beers out of it. My FG was high around 1.016, but it was that yesterday and last week; so I decided to go ahead and bottle. I have them all in a Sterlite bin with the top on it, so if I get a bottle bomb it will not destroy my carpet. No problems bottling except for a little aeration here and there, but it wasn't catastrophic. I tasted the last half bottle I got out of it and it is pretty close to Newcastle with a more bitter alcohol taste although it is only around 3.5% ABV. I am happy about it. Got an Irish Stout waiting on bottling and an ESB kit in the mail. I am thinking of cold crashing the stout, but I am not sure yet. 2 kits (about to be 3) brewed in the first month!!!!

Congrats on getting the first batch in bottles! It's great to pop that first beer YOU made. Sounds like you have a nice pipeline that's about to get started; keep it going! :drunk:

Yeah, congratulations!

I'm pretty new to it myself. Got a good feeling of accomplishment to finally crack open a bottle of beer that I made even though I cracked it pretty green (one week carbing + 12 hours in the fridge). My next taste is this weekend, two weeks carbing + one week in the fridge.

You will probly find this addicting. I finally got a small room/cellar dug out just for beer and brewing stuff, took alot of buckets of dirt up the stairs. Got an IPA (maybe only an APA) and a porter going now, and some huckleberry mead.
Constantly sampling beer from chewing grains to warm flat beer out of the fermentor, to a bottle of home made beer every few days is how to learn the ways that beer changes as it ages. I tasted my first attempt at an APA out of the fermentor and thot it was goona be undrinkable, but the keg seemed to empty itself into my glass rather quickly after it aged a couple weeks.

It is a great sense of accomplishment, next will be drinking some that has properly conditioned.
Congratulations :mug:

You will probly find this addicting. I finally got a small room/cellar dug out just for beer and brewing stuff, took alot of buckets of dirt up the stairs. Got an IPA (maybe only an APA) and a porter going now, and some huckleberry mead.

Oh, I am ate up with this now. After I brewed the first one, I was a little weary of how it would turn out. So, I went and bought another carboy and ordered a full kit from Midwest. Tried to improve my brewing process, which I think I did a little bit. Now I have an empty carboy soaking, so what do I do? I order another kit from Midwest and a better thermometer and some Sinamar to make my stout darker (I am not satisfied with the color in the carboy). I am looking into buying a deep freezer and single stage temp controller to make for better fermenting and conditioning. I have a homemade swamp cooler for now. SWMBO told me I could spend money since she has spent so much on her hobbies over the years, so I got the green light!!!

My SWMBO pretty is great about me doing pretty much anything, as long as we can afford it. We both kinda collect hobbies. I am just starting to get parts for temp control, going to get a couple of the STS-1000 I think they are called, only 25 bucks each or so and can both cool or heat from same controller.
Homebrew and home made equipment seem to go together.
Got out of the hobby for a while when the LHBS moved another hour away, now I order online or buy full 50lb malt at a time. Dedicating a room to it made all the difference, the other room was dedicated to model airplanes, cars, boats, lapidary, stained glass, and a pottery kiln outside. Looking for a used glass kiln now. I would love a big glass kiln to do glass blowing but that is too much!

Back