Microbrewery Essentials

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Foley

Reaction score
I know I know another "start your own brewery on a dream and a prayer" thread.

I am interested in learning more about small scale brewing in a micro or brew pub environment. Right now my experience is limited to extract w/specialty grain brewing. So, I would like to know, what is the bare essential equipment to brew 3-7 bbl batches and having a small tap room. From grain to tap what do most small micros or brew pubs use. Some instruction on use of that equipment and the brewing process would be good as well.

I am not looking for the answers here, but, does anyone know of any good books or other resources to walk me through this learning process? I have heard mixed review of the brewers association start your own brewery book. Does anyone know of any other good learning resources? Thanks.

I don't have much reference for you but here's a short list:

Big grain mill/hopper, Big MLT, Steam Jacket Kettle, big pump, big chiller, big fermenter, big bright tank. Same stuff we all use, just a lot bigger with more expensive plumbing (triclover).

Bobby_M said:
I don't have much reference for you but here's a short list:

Big grain mill/hopper, Big MLT, Steam Jacket Kettle, big pump, big chiller, big fermenter, big bright tank. Same stuff we all use, just a lot bigger with more expensive plumbing (triclover).

Bigger cleaning implements.
Bleach. (It's true)

believe it or not there are a lot of extract based brew pubs out there. Not that I would do that (less control and too much $$$) but it is very possible. Then you don't need a HLT or MT/LT, just a big ol' kettle, fermenter and a bright tank/serving vessle.

I know of a micro in the Carolina's using a Crankandstein for a mill (3 roller detent). If you want larger rollers, go to the site and ask Fred what he'd charge for larger rollers.

I have 3 roller, and a 3/8 hp gear motor turning at 90 rpm. You could not stall that motor with a pipe wrench (although you may want to up the rpm's a little if you're doing it for a living)

Yeah, I think the mill is actually the least of the worries as far as cost is concerned. You could have a huge one custom made for less than 1/4 of what the MLT is going to cost.

Back