Wheat Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatherJack

Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm gearing up to do a fury of brewing and I was wondering if this would seem like a plausible recipe to try, not for the summer, but for this winter and beyond:

Sayonara Wine

(i just put the link since its easier to view and load)

I'm curious what you all think. Thanks!:mug:

I think the reason it's called wine, much like barleywine, is just the high alcohol %

this would just be a wheat version of a barleywine. there's a great recipe on HBT, but i wanted to try something new and originally mine

All those hops will overwhelm the wheat flavors. If you want the wheat to come through, lower the hops, a lot! I made one and that's what happened.

Beeber,

Thanks! What would you suggest for a good target IBU then? Maybe half it?

Also, with less hops, could I add some spices too?

With a OG of over 1.100, I would up the hops if anything. I did a Wheatwine (see drop down) and ended up at 88 IBU's. Wouldn't go lower than 75 or so. Not sure how that yeast is gonna handle that gravity...

Yeah, I plan on either double pitching it or switching to S-33 or T-58. I'm still in the preliminary planning stages. Thanks for the input Poobah! (btw, I took a look at your wheat wine and loved the idea, it helped me a lot when building this recipe!)

Back