Can you Brew It recipe for Rogue Shakespeare Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricCSU

Reaction score
This was deemed not cloned.

All recipes are (unless otherwise specified: 6 gallons post-boil, 70% efficiency, Morey for color, 15% evaporation, 7.27 gallons preboil, Rager IBU, and most hops are in grams not ounces. Most, if not all recipes are primary only (no secondary).

If you brew this, please reply with your results for discussion.

The italicized text is from Nathan Smith's site.
V13-E Stout, American Stout

Min OG: 1.050 Max OG: 1.075
Min IBU: 35 Max IBU: 75
Min Clr: 30 Max Clr: 48 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 12.69
Anticipated OG: 1.059 Plato: 14.41
Anticipated SRM: 47.7
Anticipated IBU: 60.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 67 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 6.45 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.045 SG 11.30 Plato

Formulas Used
Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
68.2 8.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
10.2 1.30 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350
10.2 1.30 lbs. Crystal 120L America 1.033 120
9.9 1.25 lbs. Flaked Oats America 1.033 2
1.5 0.19 lbs. Roasted Barley America 1.028 450

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
2.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 6.40 60.4 60 min
1.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 6.40 0.0 0 min

Yeast
Wyeast 1764 Pac Man

Water Profile
Profile:
Profile known for:
Calcium(Ca): 0.0 ppm
Magnesium(Mg): 0.0 ppm
Sodium(Na): 0.0 ppm
Sulfate(SO4): 0.0 ppm
Chloride(Cl): 0.0 ppm
biCarbonate(HCO3): 0.0 ppm
pH: 0.00

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Single Step
Grain Lbs: 12.69
Water Qts: 5.67 Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 1.42 Before Additional Infusions
Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 0.45 Before Additional Infusions

Rest Temp Time
Saccharification Rest: 148 45 Min
Mash-out Rest: 170 15 Min
Sparge: 0 0 Min

Total Mash Volume Gal: 2.43 - Dough-In Infusion Only
All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

Notes
Brewed 10/25/2009. Mash temp 148F, OG 1.058

2L 1.035 Stir plate starter w/ 2 Activator packs of Wyeast 1764 Pac Man
created about 24 hours before pitching.

---------------------

Metric Conversions:

American 2-row Pale: 8.5LB/3.85Kg
Chocolate Malt: 1.30LB/.59Kg
Crystal 120L: 1.30LB/.59Kg
Flaked Oats: 1.25LB/.56Kg
Roasted Barley: .19LB/.08Kg/2.88oz.

60 minute hop addition: 2.57oz./72.86g Cascade pellets @ 5.75%AA
0 minute hop addition: 1.25oz/35.43g Cascade pellets @ 5.75%AA

Extract conversion:
Pale LME: 6.50Lb/2.95Kg
Chocolate Malt: 1LB/.45Kg
Crystal 120L: 1LB/.45Kg
Flaked Oats: .90LB/14.40oz/.40Kg
Roasted Barley: .22Lb/3.52Oz/99.79g

----------------

From John directly to JP via email:

Shakespeare Stout
66.2% 2 row
10.5% C120 Great Western
10.5% Baird chocolate
9.7% Regular Rolled Oats
2.9% Baird Roasted Barley
Hops are all cascade, IBU's 69 O.G. 1.060
Whirlpool hops are half the amount of the boiling hops, you can hop twice in the boil or just once at the start.

-----

http://www.rogue.com/beers/shakespeare-stout.php

Here's what I get out of the Brewing Network interview with John Maier:
67% American 2-row
11% Chocolate malt
11% Crystal 120L (Great Western)
9.5% Flaked Oats
1.5% Roasted Barley

OG 1.061 FG: 1.015 - Approximately 6%ABV
69IBU - 100% Cascade
90 minute boil

148F single infusion mash, 45 min, 15 min. recirculation, 15min @ 170F

69IBU Cascade (T45) @ 60 minutes
(use 1/3 the amount you used in bittering for 0 minute) = Cascade (T90) @ whirlpool/flame-out. Using 1/3 would have been .85oz instead of 1.25oz.)

Fermentation: Wyeast 1764 (Pac Man) 60F
Whirlfloc @ 30min.
Servomyces

water: 38ppm hardness.
Concord water approximately 100ppm "hardness" : http://www.ccwater.com/files/AWQR08.pdf
----

1.7L 1.035OG stir plate starter pitched w/ 2 Wyeast packs for an approximate cell count of 420 billion.

Fermentation: Wyeast 1764 (Pac Man) 60F

Target F 1.015, approximately 6% ABV

Nathan underscored the importance of adjusting water hardness. It was suggested that decreasing the roasted barley to 1.5 percent could be beneficial.

If making an extract version, Jamil said that it was ok to put the flaked oats in the steep. Tasty said that a little carapils or wheat to the mash would help overcome the decreased extraction of oats in steeping.

JP recommends using the prescribed amount of whirlfloc :D (JP used several times more than needed. One tablet is good for up to 12 gallons)

I brewed this 3 weeks ago, but since Pacman is not available I used 001. I finished at 1020... I did accidentally mash a little higher than anticipated... that's what happens when drinking and brewing with a buddy... I'm a little disappointed, hoped to get down a little further. hydro sample tasted good, but I'll give it 2 weeks in the keg before tasting again. I also pulled off 3 one gallon samples and put 3 cut up jalapenos in one, 2.2 oz of lactose in another, and a pound of mashed fresh cherries in the the other. Hopefully the cherry one takes off again and ferments some of that cherry juice. I'll leave them until next weekend and bottle them up. I did freeze and use campden tablets for the cherries and jalapenos to kill the nasties. I'll let you guys know how it comes out.

I brewed this 3 weeks ago, but since Pacman is not available I used 001. I finished at 1020... I did accidentally mash a little higher than anticipated... that's what happens when drinking and brewing with a buddy... I'm a little disappointed, hoped to get down a little further. hydro sample tasted good, but I'll give it 2 weeks in the keg before tasting again. I also pulled off 3 one gallon samples and put 3 cut up jalapenos in one, 2.2 oz of lactose in another, and a pound of mashed fresh cherries in the the other. Hopefully the cherry one takes off again and ferments some of that cherry juice. I'll leave them until next weekend and bottle them up. I did freeze and use campden tablets for the cherries and jalapenos to kill the nasties. I'll let you guys know how it comes out.

That is a pretty interesting combo for additions. Please keep us updated.

Eric

The base beer is awesome. I have yet to do the side by side with original, but have a bottle and will be doing that soon.

As for the experimental batches They have been bottled for plenty long to carbonate, but I keep forgetting to put them in the fridge. I'll try to remember to do that and post how they came out.

Jalepeno - different pepper taste than the normal pepper beer... Might try using a different types of peppers combined instead of just using jalapeno.

Lactose - Not sure I added enough to get the sweetness I was after.

Cherry - A lot of the flavor fermented out per usual. It added a bit of tartness, but I think if you're after a cherry stout, you should use a different base beer.

No problem. Good luck! Mine did not taste nearly as hoppy as the commercial example. Also - I recommend some rice hulls or putting the oats on top of the mash... I had some draining issues with my SS braid...

I brewed this with Wyeast 1056 and no water treatment (used bottled water). The result is very delicious, but not anywhere near the real deal. Granted, I am very new to this, but I did hit all parameters within a few degrees. After in the bottle for 3 weeks, I did a side by side tasting. The rogue is much richer in flavor and has a much more velvety mouthfeel. The aroma is also much more intense with notes of dark chocolate. The head is much more dense and lasting than my clone, but the carbonation does not tingle in the mouthfeel (as it does slightly with my clone).

Having made that comparison, I can forget it! I am VERY happy with the results of this brew. The differences are probably more a result of my process, yeast, and water than the recipe itself, but the resulting beer is very tasty nevertheless!

The rogue is much richer in flavor and has a much more velvety mouthfeel.

I too struggled to duplicate this while trying to clone shakespeare stout and mocha porter. I soon came to realize that Rogue uses a ton of dark crystal malt in their recipes and, using pacman in my setup, I have to mash at 154-155 if I want to finish above 1.013 or so.

My last double mocha porter clone used 1 pound of C120 and 1 pound of C150......this really helped me get the richness that rogue's dark ales are known for.

The revised recipe from the rebrew show:

67% Great Western 2-row
11% chocolate malt
11% crystal 120
10% flaked oats
1.5% roasted barley

70 IBU Cascade at 60min
1.25oz cascade at 0min

Pacman yeast (if available) or WLP051

67% Great Western 2-row
11% chocolate malt
11% crystal 120
10% flaked oats
1.5% roasted barley

70 IBU Cascade at 60min
1.25oz cascade at 0min

Awesome! Thanks. Looks like just 1% more of chocolate and c120. Definitely going to try that, or maybe dial in a bit more of those elements.

67% Great Western 2-row
11% chocolate malt
11% crystal 120
10% flaked oats
1.5% roasted barley

70 IBU Cascade at 60min
1.25oz cascade at 0min

Can someone convert to lbs and oz... Please, I know get Beersmith. Iam just cheap

Can someone convert to lbs and oz... Please, I know get Beersmith. Iam just cheap

Math works, too. Seriously, just assume 1.035 extract for everything except the roast barley. Then add 3oz roast barley and call it a day. That'll be close enough.

Who has the rebrew recipe?

?

The recipe is right above this post, about 7 back.

There are quite a few recipe creation devices out there: software, web-based, and smartphone apps. If you need help with creating the recipe, I would recommend using those.

Eric

About to brew the rebrew posted above. Using US-05 and praying for not much of a dry finish. Shall post results. Thanks for all the info in this thread, Eric, you rule.-

PS: does anyone have any clone recipes for Founders CBS or KBS?

Thanks and happy brewing.

i might be a little late to the party but the place i work at sells Rogue brewing kits AND pacman yeast.
its called adventures in homebrewing in michigan. they have a full service webstore. i wont post the link because i dont know what the rules are about that.

Thanks for the info on the pacman. I am definitely getting it as soon as they get it in stock. However, for the time being I went with S-04. I was afraid US-05 would dry it up too much. Plus its an (American) Stout, so S-04 wont hurt it too much.

I was shouting for a 153 mash, ended up mashing at 152, close but not cigar.

I am going to rack the Shakespeare Clone in about 7-10 days and ferment my Founders BS Clone on that cake. The FBS is a massive beer and I will be needing a lot of S-04.

On the note above, I think Founders CBS and KBS are simply the FBS plus maple syrup and bourbon respectively. I may well be wrong though. Havent attempted them yet and doesn't look like I have time to make them this winter. Brewing them next year for sure though.

On the note above, I think Founders CBS and KBS are simply the FBS plus maple syrup and bourbon respectively. I may well be wrong though. Havent attempted them yet and doesn't look like I have time to make them this winter. Brewing them next year for sure though.

they have a bunch in stock all the time...

and as far as the KBS and CBS...i think you are right though i think the KBS has more or a coffee blast?

About the Pacman, think I should give them a shot? I tried the site and it said out of stock in any case I know they bring it fresh every time (thats what it says anyway).

As for the CBS and KBS cant say fro sure since I have only had the FBS only and I can say with a great degree of certainty it is the Best Stout I have ever sampled.

BTW: if you know of any Stouts that remotely rival the FBS (apart from the CBS and KBS) please do say. I would be very grateful. I am cloning the FBS in about 7-10 days, as soon as my monster of a S-04 cake is ready.

Meanwhile, I am planning to collect as much info as I can on potential Stouts for next winter, should have started earlier this year...

Ok so back to the Shakespeare Clone.

Mashed at 152 as I said before, used S-04 and the fermentor is still going steadily at 64F. I think I will only give this one a 7 day primary and rack to keep the cake as lively as I can. I am brewing this to get a good size cake for my Founders BS clone I am making next.

Anyone have any good Rogue Clone recipes? It might be too late in the season to make any more stouts but I'd still like to prepare for next season.

Brewing: Founders Breakfast Stout Clone
Primary: Shakespeare Stout Clone
Secondary: Arrogant Bastard Clone
Bottled: S.N. Celebration Ale Clone

Happy brewing.

How many days (ballpark figure) does this need to be fermented (using pacman yeast)?

@Castleblack, try the Rogue Amber Ale clone recipe here. I made mine, and it's good.

Ok. Well we do have it in store so if you want it or in the future, let me know and I will ship you some. Or try calling the store. I don't know why it says out of stock unless we are trying to keep them on hand for in store kits.

As far as the FBS I cant really say that there is a decent competitor but I haven't tried them all lol. If you are familliar with southern tier you could check out their crem brule or chokolat stouts.

I'm working out a few stout recipes right now oj fact I will likely brew them this weekend.
Two years ago I made a milk stout made from melted snow. I still have people asking me about it. I made a coconut porter last summer.that was fantastic. The only.thing I would change about it is to add maybe a.dram of hazlenut or some.cocoa nibs or pale chocolate.malt.

Sounds good guys, thanks for all the help.

I ll be making the breakfast stout on the 9th.

Might rack off a gallon, add some bourbon and oak chips and make it into a KBS or even CBS*.

*CBS has near perfect reviews anyone had it?

As for the Shakespeare racking it either tomorrow or day after, cant wait. (might make that one into a Choc Stout Clone, we ll see, i ll let you guys know if i do a side by side of same vintage Shakespeare and Choc Stout.

Happy brewing everybody!

Sounds good guys, thanks for all the help.

I ll be making the breakfast stout on the 9th.

Might rack off a gallon, add some bourbon and oak chips and make it into a KBS or even CBS*.

*CBS has near perfect reviews anyone had it?

As for the Shakespeare racking it either tomorrow or day after, cant wait. (might make that one into a Choc Stout Clone, we ll see, i ll let you guys know if i do a side by side of same vintage Shakespeare and Choc Stout.

Happy brewing everybody!

Given that KBS is ~3% higher ABV, and CBS is 2.5% higher, and much "richer", I don't think adding bourbon/oak will produce a "clone", although I am sure it will be a great beer. If you like those big rich stouts, try to score some Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. They are all excellent. All of the Southern Tier backwater series are good also.

CastleBlack said:
CBS has near perfect reviews anyone had it?

I have had all three in the past month. I have not found anything to rival FBS. I really like the Southern Tier Blackwater series (Creme Brulee, Mokah, Choklat...), but side by side the ST didn't have the fullness and depth of the Founders. I really love Creme Brulee Stout though.

CBS and KBS really take it to the next level. I had CBS and FBS side by side, and the CBS is just so smooth and velvety. Unfortunately I am not very good with descriptions. I have a bottle KBS in my basement. I got two from a friend, had one, and saving the second for next year. I think they are a year old already. Very nice.

So, my brother and I stood in line for an hour to get the CBS on tap at the Bavarian Lodge in Lisle, IL. I have to say that it was worth it, and I don't like standing in just to taste one beer. If you can find it, you need to.

I'm going to try to brew FBS and Creme Brulee this year. Good luck!

Given that KBS is ~3% higher ABV, and CBS is 2.5% higher, and much "richer", I don't think adding bourbon/oak will produce a "clone", although I am sure it will be a great beer. If you like those big rich stouts, try to score some Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. They are all excellent. All of the Southern Tier backwater series are good also.

Hey man thanks for all this info on the stouts. I am definitely brewing next yrs stouts (starting early Nov probably) based on what you said. The thing is I havent had the KBS or CBS but since you say they are richer then I should look more into it. Agreed also on the Southern Tier, they are much better than what I have given them credit for!

I have had all three in the past month. I have not found anything to rival FBS. I really like the Southern Tier Blackwater series (Creme Brulee, Mokah, Choklat...), but side by side the ST didn't have the fullness and depth of the Founders. I really love Creme Brulee Stout though.

CBS and KBS really take it to the next level. I had CBS and FBS side by side, and the CBS is just so smooth and velvety. Unfortunately I am not very good with descriptions. I have a bottle KBS in my basement. I got two from a friend, had one, and saving the second for next year. I think they are a year old already. Very nice.

So, my brother and I stood in line for an hour to get the CBS on tap at the Bavarian Lodge in Lisle, IL. I have to say that it was worth it, and I don't like standing in just to taste one beer. If you can find it, you need to.

I'm going to try to brew FBS and Creme Brulee this year. Good luck!

Mmm sounds so tasty!

I admit being enticed by your experience. Will most certainly be brewing one of the clones you and skeezer mention. Southern Tier Creme Brulee, sounds so fine indeed...

In have the Creme Brulee recipe from BYO all punched in to Beer Smith. I got a new kettle for Christmas, so that will change how I brew it. I have to make some tweaks. I'm planning on brewing it in February.
I think I'm going to try the FBS also.
On an unrelated style, I also have Avery Maharaja all set to go too. This is the year of the clones!

ST CREME brule is awesome for sure. Since you have some to kill before brew day might I suggest you look into kunnahnn brewerys take on it. Now, this brewery is located in Warren, MI and for the life of me still cannot spell the name correctly. This heed is out of this world...especially their casked version. I'm sure they would, like most microbreweries, be more than happy to give you the grist. Sometimes it is called vanilla Java stout and they use a sparkled to pour it which makes is creamy and smooth and silky. Oh God I gotta go to the brewery now.

I wonder, would dark candie sugar give that charred sugar taste that you get on real creme brule?

I looked it up. The have a huge beer selection. I wish they were closer to Chicago. I'm going to have to add it to my Michigan brewery roadtrip. It said it was called Imperial Creme Brulee Java Stout. Sounds so good. You think it is better than Southern Tier? Man oh man!
The only thing that would get me more excited would be to find out that Founders was making a Creme Brulee Breakfast Stout.
Thanks for the info, Man!

In have the Creme Brulee recipe from BYO all punched in to Beer Smith. I got a new kettle for Christmas, so that will change how I brew it. I have to make some tweaks. I'm planning on brewing it in February.
I think I'm going to try the FBS also.
On an unrelated style, I also have Avery Maharaja all set to go too. This is the year of the clones!

I was totally planning on making the Maharaja IIPA too! I dont have the recipe though, or for the creme burlee. I do have beer smith though. Any chance of getting the recipe off you?

And while we are at it this is my year of clones too. Already started with
1. SN Celebration Ale (bottle)
2. Stone Arrogant Bastard (bottle)
3. Rogue Shakespeare (secondary)
4. Founders Breakfast Stout (primary)
Further 2012 recipes:
5. Stone Ruination
6. Stone Sublimely Self Righteous
7. Bells Two Hearted
8. DFG 90 min IPA
9. 3 Floyds Alpha King Pale Ale
10. 3 Floyds Gumblall Head
11. Troegs Nugget Nectar
12. Rogue Mocha Porter

I got recipes for all the above and can provide .BSMs gladly if you are making any of these clones.

If you got the recipe for Creme Brulee, Maharaja (and Brian Boru Irish Red, that one is tough to find) I would be glad to have them!

Thanks in advance and Happy Brewing!

I was totally planning on making the Maharaja IIPA too! I dont have the recipe though, or for the creme burlee. I do have beer smith though. Any chance of getting the recipe off you?

And while we are at it this is my year of clones too. Already started with
1. SN Celebration Ale (bottle)
2. Stone Arrogant Bastard (bottle)
3. Rogue Shakespeare (secondary)
4. Founders Breakfast Stout (primary)
Further 2012 recipes:
5. Stone Ruination
6. Stone Sublimely Self Righteous
7. Bells Two Hearted
8. DFG 90 min IPA
9. 3 Floyds Alpha King Pale Ale
10. 3 Floyds Gumblall Head
11. Troegs Nugget Nectar
12. Rogue Mocha Porter

I got recipes for all the above and can provide .BSMs gladly if you are making any of these clones.

If you got the recipe for Creme Brulee, Maharaja (and Brian Boru Irish Red, that one is tough to find) I would be glad to have them!

Thanks in advance and Happy Brewing!

Try the search function for this website. I have transcripted all the recipes from a popular podcast that focuses on cloning beer. The link for that (which also links Maharaja) is in my signature. Happy Brewing!

Eric

Back