lactose question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dummkauf

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing my first porter this weekend, and the recipe calls for lactose, however I've never brewed with it before. I just went to enter it into beerSmith and can't find lactose as an ingredient. Is lactic acid the same thing? or do I need to manually add lactose to BeerSmith?

Thanks in advance!

Lactose is an unfermatable sugar derived from milk. This could be why you can't find it in the fermentables list in beersmith (I have never used it so not 100% on that). Do not subsitute lactic acid in its place.

Lactose will give a nice sweet finish (not overpowering) to the brew. I like the results that it imparts in stouts. I've never used it in porters before, but think it would be good in that style too. Like mattd2 says, don't use lactic acid; they are two different animals entirely.

ok, thanks for clarifying. Think I'll just manually add it into BeerSmith. Didn't want to add another ingredient if it was just referred to by a different name.

Thanks again!

I'm not at home now...but I recall it being under milk sugar (IIRC)and not lactose. Either in the fermentables list, or the miscellaneous list.

Back