Strong Bitter Common Room ESB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you adjust the hop additions for different %AAs? I'd also not expect an S-04 fermented beer to be drinkable two weeks after brewing, my experience is that it takes a while for the yeast and hop flavors to come together.

Did you adjust the hop additions for different %AAs? I'd also not expect an S-04 fermented beer to be drinkable two weeks after brewing, my experience is that it takes a while for the yeast and hop flavors to come together.

Yes, I adjusted AA% to hit the correct IBU's for the recipe. I don't think it is a hop issue, it is either something went wrong in my process or the LHBS had the wrong grains. The other variable is my thermocouple messed up so my mash temp was a little loose....it was 150ish and within range, but that wouldn't cause flavor problems. I'm thinking I'll let it sit for a couple weeks in the keg and come back to it.

Thanks for the feedback on S-04, I've never brewed with it before and mostly use liquid yeast, but this was impromptu brew session.

KingBrianI : I really need to thank you for this recipe. I brewed it and everybody loved it. My boss loved it so much that she said it was one of the best beers she had ever tasted,and she wanted to start selling it at her place.( she is a cafe owner and i work there in the kitchen.) so this will be my first house beer.

Drinking one and mashing a new batch of this one right now.changed the yeast To wlp 002 just To try some different yeasts.hope this new batch Will be as tasty as the last one was.

Mashing this one right now. Used all EKG and changed the yeast to 1968. Otherwise exactly the same as the original. My first time doing a FWH. Will report back when it's in my glass.

I have just pulled a pint of this from my keg. It has been in there nearly two weeks. I am a bit disappointed as I can hardly detect any EKG aroma or flavor.
Not sure why. Maybe the hops were older.

Anyway, could I dry hop in the keg with some more EKG? If so how much would you suggest and am I ok to bring the keg back up to room temp before doing this?

Thanks.

Brewing 10.5 gal of this today with Great Western's version of Otter. I know it won't be the exact same, but on the West Coast, this is the only maltster around. I get it at about $0.86/lb, whereas real Otter costs me $1.20/lb (40% more).

OP, if you can still edit the first post, it would be helpful to spell out that by "UK 2-row" you mean something resembling Otter. I came very close to brewing it with US 2-row instead.

Below is the recipe, modified for the malts available in the Sacramento area (Great Western base/Baird specialty), using AA values from HopHeaven in Oregon.

Note: Adjusted to match OP's OG/IBU (Tinseth formula) in a 10.5g batch at 80.8% mash eff.

Code:
BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - [url]http://www.beersmith.com[/url]
Recipe: Common Room ESB - 2013.09.02
Brewer: Thadius Miller
Asst Brewer: 
Style: Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 12.37 gal
Post Boil Volume: 11.02 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 10.50 gal   
Bottling Volume: 10.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 11.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 35.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 80.8 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
17 lbs 11.4 oz        Pale Ale Malt, Northwestern (Great Weste Grain         1        90.9 %        
1 lbs 5.3 oz          Crystal 60, 2-Row, (Baird 50-60) (55.0 S Grain         2        6.8 %         
7.1 oz                Crystal 150, 2-Row, (Baird 115-150) (133 Grain         3        2.3 %         
3.97 oz               Goldings, East Kent [3.90 %] - Boil 60.0 Hop           4        28.6 IBUs     
0.66 oz               Fuggles [5.20 %] - Boil 20.0 min         Hop           5        3.8 IBUs      
0.66 oz               Goldings, East Kent [3.90 %] - Boil 20.0 Hop           6        2.9 IBUs      
0.25 oz               Fuggles [5.20 %] - Boil 0.0 min          Hop           7        0.0 IBUs      
0.25 oz               Goldings, East Kent [3.90 %] - Boil 0.0  Hop           8        0.0 IBUs      
2.0 pkg               SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast         9        -             

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 19 lbs 7.7 oz
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Mash In           Add 24.85 qt of water at 171.4 F        154.0 F       60 min        

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun, , 8.62gal) of 168.0 F water
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - [url]http://www.beersmith.com[/url]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have just pulled a pint of this from my keg. It has been in there nearly two weeks. I am a bit disappointed as I can hardly detect any EKG aroma or flavor.
Not sure why. Maybe the hops were older.

Anyway, could I dry hop in the keg with some more EKG? If so how much would you suggest and am I ok to bring the keg back up to room temp before doing this?

Thanks.

Sure. Go for it, but expect to lose a little clarity if using pellets.

I tend to hop .5 oz per 5 gal for brews such as this. YMMV.

Brewed this for a second time per the recipe but subbed Fuggle for Target

Classic, easy, quaffable recipe!

Another happy, repeat customer

I brewed this for the first time a few weeks back. My nearest grain shop had the Gambrinus ESB malt so I used that for the base. Ended up with an OG of 1.050 and finished at 1.008. I left the beer in the fermenter for three weeks. SG reading after the first week was 1.008 and tasted ok. Sample at two weeks tasted so horrible and harsh I started second guessing my brew day. Luckily reading this thread assuaged my fears and at bottling time this evening the sample tasted very good. There was a pronounced earthiness and mellow bitterness. I'm sure looking forward to tasting this beer when it's carbonated.

Thanks for the recipe.

Brewing my 1st batch of this right now, gonna be boiling in the dark it looks like, but my only chance to brew this weekend. Used Maris Otter, looking forward to trying some of this!

One week in nthe bottle now, put a bottle in the fridge yesterday and opened it today at lunch. Unfortunately no carbonation to speak of. Of course I drank the entire glass of nearly still beer anyway. It was tasty but typically thin due to lack of carbonation. I'll wait another week and repeat. Home brewing is hard for a patience challenged man like me.

Trying this today as my first all-grain brew. So far so good, mashed in 10 minutes ago, and only missed by 1 degree!

Interested in brewing this one up, but a bit confused. You have the FWH as:

But when I click on the BWM link for the recipe: http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/recipe/96cd746d/kingbriani-common-room-esb

The FWH is:

Kent Goldings, UK Pellets 2 oz @ FWH

Which is it?

Cheers!

I did the 1.5 oz FWH on the EKG hops, and the other hop additions per the recipe. As a bit of a cautionary tale, though, I bottled this beer May 6th and the hops in it are just getting down now to what I would call a well-balanced ESB level. The only thing I did different from the recipe is that I used Thomas Fawcett Optic Malt as the base malt.

Interested in brewing this one up, but a bit confused. You have the FWH as:

But when I click on the BWM link for the recipe: http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/recipe/96cd746d/kingbriani-common-room-esb

The FWH is:

Kent Goldings, UK Pellets 2 oz @ FWH

Which is it?

Cheers!

The actual mass doesn't matter so much as the amount of bittering it contributes. The 5.5AA% hops I used in the original recipe may have been stronger than the hops available at brewmasterswarehouse when I entered the recipe there. So adjust the amount of hops depending on their AA% in order to hit the right bitterness for the recipe. That's not just for common room, but for any recipe you're doing.

Brian

What fermentation temperature do you suggest for the s-04 in this recipe?

Oh, and any suggestions in terms of water profiles/additions?

Hoping to brew this up this weekend.

Cheers!

NWMushroom said:
What fermentation temperature do you suggest for the s-04 in this recipe? Oh, and any suggestions in terms of water profiles/additions? Hoping to brew this up this weekend. Cheers!

Low to mid 60s for temp.

I used RO water, and added 1tsp each of Calcium Chloride and Gypsum (per 5 gallons of water), + 2% acid malt to the grist.

I'm replying to this thread so I can find it easier when I go AG, because I will definitely be trying this one. I'm concentrating on ESB for my extracts at the moment, and will continue to do so for my first 2 or 3 AGs. I liked the look of the recipe, especially as I am a Fuggles and EKG nut.

The clincher for me though was the pic. The head and colour are exactly how I remember my pints of ESB from when I was living across the pond. That is one beautiful looking pint! I swear I can taste it if I lick my monitor! :D

Same here,
Im a big fan of EKG and Fuggles too.
It reminded me of the MotherLand alot.

ive brewed 4 beers in a row with s04 and none ever want to get below 1020 or 1018 for me
would it be blasphemy to pitch one packet s04 and one packet s05?
s05 always cranks beers down predictably for me.

Brewed on Sunday. Only had an ounce of EKG so I modified and used more Fuggle. Also went with wy1968. Airlock has been going crazy, plan to transfer to secondary in a week and raise temp to 68-70. I want it kegged and ready to drink by the 23rd. Can't wait

Brewed on Sunday. Only had an ounce of EKG so I modified and used more Fuggle. Also went with wy1968. Airlock has been going crazy, plan to transfer to secondary in a week and raise temp to 68-70. I want it kegged and ready to drink by the 23rd. Can't wait

If you are going to push the timeline up like that then I wouldn't secondary it. Especially using 1968. Just raise the temp and let it clean it up in the primary. keg it and force carb it. I am at a month in the primary, kegged it yesterday and its just now starting to integrate.

Brewed this yesterday. I added 1.5 lbs of 2 row to make up for my poor efficiency... Ended up at 1062, haha.
I kinda feel like this should be a touch cloudy. I added whirlfloc at 7 minutes left.
Pitched S04 AND S05.
Will report how this turns out. I checked it early this morning and airlock was bubbling like crazy!!!

Just checked this after a week in the fermenter. My OG was 1.052. It's currently sitting at 1.016 - happy with that. Will probably keep it in the fermenter for at least another week, testing taste and gravity as I go.

I followed the recipe as per the OP, only adjusted for my efficiency. I BIAB.

As an expat Brit let me say I've tried a few times to come up with a British style beer and have always come up short. This one is tasting very promising so far.

Just checked this after a week in the fermenter. My OG was 1.052. It's currently sitting at 1.016 - happy with that. Will probably keep it in the fermenter for at least another week, testing taste and gravity as I go.

I followed the recipe as per the OP, only adjusted for my efficiency. I BIAB.

As an expat Brit let me say I've tried a few times to come up with a British style beer and have always come up short. This one is tasting very promising so far.

If you would like it to drop a few more points and you still have it sitting at 63 degrees you could let it warm up to around 68.

Yes, I've been slowly raising the temperature from around day 3. It's currently at 67, plan on upping it to 68 late tonight and holding it there for a week or so. Does that sound like a good plan? I know I've read on some of your other posts that you like to raise the temperature and then slowly bring it back down - is that worthwhile with s-04?

Yes, I've been slowly raising the temperature from around day 3. It's currently at 67, plan on upping it to 68 late tonight and holding it there for a week or so. Does that sound like a good plan? I know I've read on some of your other posts that you like to raise the temperature and then slowly bring it back down - is that worthwhile with s-04?

That sounds like a great plan. With S-04, I don't think there is much need to drop the temp to retain malt flavors and esters like I would with Fuller's yeast. After it's completely done fermenting and tasting nice though, it wouldn't hurt to cold crash it if you are so inclined. Sounds like it's coming along nicely.

Brewed this today- Drank quite a few ESB's on Nitro yesterday and really got me wanting to brew one.

3rd brew on my new rig- first session on the new rig without any issues. Hit my boil off and all my numbers.

OG is 1.056

looking forward to this one.

Thanks for the recipe

I brewed this 11/25. I had problems with high mash temps-was trying for 154/155 and was getting 157 regularly. My OG was 1.060
I checked it today 12/5, and my SG is 1.036?
Shouldn't it be lower by now?
I'm going to give rousing the yeast a try.

Below are more details from my log:
Wyeast 1469 1000 ml starter on a stirplate for 36 hours, than 1 day in fridge to settle
Slightly more than 5 gallons into the fermenter -OG 15 brix or 1.060
Pitched 300ml 1469 slurry at 67 degrees 8:30 pm
Slightly less than 5 gal in the fermenter including trub
Set temp at 16.8 (about 64)
Kreusen the next morning 11/26 at 8:30 am
11/27 1:45 am Carboy temp 64 nice kreusen but not huge/excessive.
11/27 7:30 pm-Kreusen gone, raised ferm temp to 18.5C
12/5 1.036???

My first batch of this was a great beer, and very drinkable- but a bit too much hop-forward. I know I followed the directions exactly, so my guess is that the AA of the hops I used might have been higher than those used in the recipe.

I brewed this 11/25. I had problems with high mash temps-was trying for 154/155 and was getting 157 regularly. My OG was 1.060
I checked it today 12/5, and my SG is 1.036?
Shouldn't it be lower by now?
I'm going to give rousing the yeast a try.

Below are more details from my log:
Wyeast 1469 1000 ml starter on a stirplate for 36 hours, than 1 day in fridge to settle
Slightly more than 5 gallons into the fermenter -OG 15 brix or 1.060
Pitched 300ml 1469 slurry at 67 degrees 8:30 pm
Slightly less than 5 gal in the fermenter including trub
Set temp at 16.8 (about 64)
Kreusen the next morning 11/26 at 8:30 am
11/27 1:45 am Carboy temp 64 nice kreusen but not huge/excessive.
11/27 7:30 pm-Kreusen gone, raised ferm temp to 18.5C
12/5 1.036???

Chances are your higher mash temp led to a less fermentable wort. Try rousing the yeast.

I'm going to brew this per the original recipe, but I only have S-04 and some harvested Conan Yeast (ECY 29). How do you think this beer would be with Conan? its supposed to be an English strain that accentuates the malt and hops?

I'm brewing this up today! Thanks for the great-looking recipe, and from a fellow Durmite. KingBrianI, do you go to TRUB meetings? I was thinking of checking one out.

Back