Not-So-Obnoxious Baseball Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WildGingerBrewing said:
Wait a minute. YOUR Rangers? You're from Ohio! I have about a thousand posts on here touting the greatness of the Rangers! :D JK Yes, be a Ranger fan. That's a team worth supporting.

Now, how about the retirement of Pudge? Quite possibly the greatest Ranger of all time??? I love that although he has been playing for other teams, he is going to come back to Arlington to retire as a Ranger. Pudge is the man and I can't wait for them to retire his number and hang it in the outfield! Wish I could be there Monday night when they honor him in the pre-game.

Yea I grew up in Grapevine so The Rangers are the only baseball team that I love. I think that it is awesome that pudge is going to retire in Texas. It's funny, him and I have a mutual friend and I have been to his house a few times. Pretty cool getting to touch all of those gold gloves with my bare hands! I know for a fact that he would t remember me though.

You don't know about Braun either. We don't know about anybody. I'll believe Braun but a Brewer fan attacking Pujols, who's NEVER failed a test, doesn't have a leg to stand on. Braun failed a test, even if the validity of that test may be in question.

Braun didn't fail a test. He won his appeal, therefore he did not fail his test. So therefore I DO know about Braun (and Pujols, too, I suppose) until it is proven differently

Braun didn't fail a test. He won his appeal, therefore he did not fail his test. So therefore I DO know about Braun (and Pujols, too, I suppose) until it is proven differently

I'm not going after Braun, I promise you that. I'm just defending Pujols. Braun did fail a test. A test with his name on it failed and he won an appeal questioning the handling of that test, but at this point it's just semantics. I just get sick of people pointing fingers at players who have never failed a test (throw Braun in there if you like) simply based on their domination of the game. I would honestly be shocked if Pujols juiced. I have no opinion on Braun since I'm not a Brewers fan but I was shocked that at the result of the test. Roids is just a $hitty excuse for why your rivals repeatedly beat your team (I do not mean you specifically). People need to just leave it be, there's testing and rules in place now.

OK I admit the Rangers may be the best team in baseball. I think Beating Scherzer was a given, I think the first three runs in the first game today were real, the rest was garbage luck. But taking Verlander to 115 pitches in 6 innings? That was good baseball.

I agree, . Verlander was on,and the pitches were good, he had good movement, Rangers were able to foul them off and extend at bats, the Rangers were up to the task

I'm glad to see my rangers are getting the respect they deserve... My entire childhood I watched as they idled on by never achieving much and now 2 yrs in a row a world series and lookin good again this year

Bam!! Giants take the double-header from the Mets, with some massive multi-run homers and a double play that was absolutely NUTS. Backhanded glove throw by Burriss to an open handed grab by Crawford at second, rifle to first....

AND Sandoval ties Willie Mays' record in games batted at 16.

*swoon* :fro:
MANG42771-128x128.jpg

Wow! And that is the reason Darvish is worth all that he got! 8 1/3 shut out innings his first time facing the spankees! It was a thing of beauty! 10 K's!! Some excerpts...

''You hear a lot of guys get hyped and he was everything that you'd heard,'' Yankees first baseman Mark Teixeira said. ''We had a gameplan to make him throw strikes, and he definitely did that. If you tried to be patient you're down 0-1, 0-2. If you tried to be aggressive every pitch seemed like it started in the zone, then moved out of the zone.''

''He's good. You have to give credit to the way he pitched,'' Cano said. ''He didn't miss any pitch over the plate.''

"He has a lot of different pitches. We really didn't know what to expect," Jeter said. "He had the fastball, two-seamer, cutter, four-seamer, curveball, slider, change-up -- he's got pretty much everything."

Just awesome. And to make things even better, our rival, the Angels, lost again! Hot Damn. Let's go RANGERS!!

Bam!! Giants take the double-header from the Mets, with some massive multi-run homers and a double play that was absolutely NUTS. Backhanded glove throw by Burriss to an open handed grab by Crawford at second, rifle to first....

AND Sandoval ties Willie Mays' record in games batted at 16.

*swoon* :fro:
MANG42771-128x128.jpg

That was awesome. Then we got to see the effects of a late double-header last night. Oh well, looking good.

Possibly career ending! Wow. I hate the yanks, but I hate to see this happen to him. Helluva pitcher!

Possibly career ending because he was gonna retire after this year anyway. So in this case year-ending=career ending. If it had happened to someone younger I doubt if it would have been "career ending". Even so, it's a sh!tty way to end it all.

Possibly career ending because he was gonna retire after this year anyway. So in this case year-ending=career ending. If it had happened to someone younger I doubt if it would have been "career ending". Even so, it's a sh!tty way to end it all.

Didn't know he was planning on retiring this year. But your right, either way, it sucks to end like that.

Inter league play on national TV ... Why is it that the announcers always seem to put so much emphasis on a situation that involves a pitcher batting? To me it's kind of boring. While I like watching AL pitchers having to swing the bat once in awhile especially liked watching Justin Verlander and Rick Porcello. It's more of a novelty act. Pitchers aren't great hitters . To me it's a wasted spot in the batting order. The NL announcers will talk about needing bench players that can play at any moment and play multiple position, but they seem ignorant to the fact that every team whether AL or NL needs the same type player. I get tired of hearing about all this managing required. I usually make the same calls and decisions as the manager, I don't find it difficult at all.

Sheesh...19 days without a baseball post?? And you guys call yourselves fans.... :p

Can't say enough good things about the way SF is playing right now. Taking 2 out of 3 against Oaktown (minus a heartbreaker walk-off homer in the third game), a shutout/sweep of LA to put us in a tie for 1st in the NL West, and a 4th shutout gem by Bumgarner tonight against the Reds to give us solo 1st. Statistically, the G's are playing better ball now than they were in 2010! Unbelievable defense, a perfecto by Monsieur Cain a few weeks ago, the 2 starting pitchers we were worrying about are starting to come around, and we've been able to shake off that damn RISP bug...plus SF has been breaking franchise records left and right! Bring on summer!! :rockin:

Rays fans have been hiding in June for good reason.

Yeah that was another low turnout last night. Tigers have been playing in front of near capacity crowds, averaging over 35,000 even on the road. Fans traveled to Chicago, Cleveland, Pittsburgh. Texas had over 35,000. They announced 20,000 last night but it sure didn't look like that many.

I don't know the good reason fans are hiding. They have a good club, they just are in a tough division. The Tigers would be 9 1/2 games behind if they played in the East. Maybe more.

Yeah that was another low turnout last night. Tigers have been playing in front of near capacity crowds, averaging over 35,000 even on the road. Fans traveled to Chicago, Cleveland, Pittsburgh. Texas had over 35,000. They announced 20,000 last night but it sure didn't look like that many.

I don't know the good reason fans are hiding. They have a good club, they just are in a tough division. The Tigers would be 9 1/2 games behind if they played in the East. Maybe more.

Don't get me wrong, I'm watching every game. Not too much bragging to do these days though.

Regarding fan turnout, I can't understand why anyone ever cares about that. I prefer going when the place is empty (i.e., I never go when Boston or NY is in town). Yea, maybe they'll get moved due to turnout, but why would fans from another state care about that?

Don't get me wrong, I'm watching every game. Not too much bragging to do these days though.

Regarding fan turnout, I can't understand why anyone ever cares about that. I prefer going when the place is empty (i.e., I never go when Boston or NY is in town). Yea, maybe they'll get moved due to turnout, but why would fans from another state care about that?

Fan turnout is extremely important, for one that means revenue for the team and that means better players. Also if you use AT&T park for example, it's been stated over and over that the players feed off of the crowd energy so that has to mean something.

Fan turnout is extremely important, for one that means revenue for the team and that means better players. Also if you use AT&T park for example, it's been stated over and over that the players feed off of the crowd energy so that has to mean something.

I asked why it is important to someone who is not a fan of the Rays.

I asked why it is important to someone who is not a fan of the Rays.

Well, I am a fan of the Ray's. I always look forward to the games when The Tigers play them. I'm looking forward to tonight's game.. Two great pitchers, head to head. I just wish the team had more support. I like when they win the division. A huge cheering crowd is always worth a couple wins a year.

Well, I am a fan of the Ray's. I always look forward to the games when The Tigers play them. I'm looking forward to tonight's game.. Two great pitchers, head to head. I just wish the team had more support. I like when they win the division. A huge cheering crowd is always worth a couple wins a year.

Hopefully tonight will be a great game. Our team is so decimated, but with the pitchers tonight I'm hoping our ineptitude at the plate and little league defense won't be a factor.

You better keep Cabrera healthy. That guy anchors your offense. And Jackson.

Hopefully tonight will be a great game. Our team is so decimated, but with the pitchers tonight I'm hoping our ineptitude at the plate and little league defense won't be a factor.

You better keep Cabrera healthy. That guy anchors your offense. And Jackson.

Cabrera is an absolute stud. I hope he does stay healthy. I dreaded the day we signed Cecil's kid (Prince). I think the Tigers are going to pay for that mistake for years to come. But ya know, I've been a fan all my life. I'm used to waiting a decade or so for that magical year. Oh, and just having gone through Texas again.. I remain convinced they are the best team in baseball. That is a team of studs. No one else need apply.

Cabrera is an absolute stud. I hope he does stay healthy. I dreaded the day we signed Cecil's kid (Prince). I think the Tigers are going to pay for that mistake for years to come. But ya know, I've been a fan all my life. I'm used to waiting a decade or so for that magical year. Oh, and just having gone through Texas again.. I remain convinced they are the best team in baseball. That is a team of studs. No one else need apply.

Well, Cabrera gets a lot better pitches with the prince behind him. I'm not a fan of fattys on the diamond though, even at first.

Yea, TX is a great team. They took us out in the playoffs last year, and this year have hammered us pretty good (so have you guys). Man, TX have some big hitters.

Back