Sweet Stout Left Hand Milk Stout Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
after several weeks, mine has finished out at 1.028. think i should take it to a warmer location? my basement is about 64 degrees. i mashed at 155. warm and uncarbed, it tastes pretty darn close to the left hand clone. cant wait to have it chilled and carbed up. thanks for the recipe!

Hi guys, can anyone advise when I should be adding the lactose? I picked up the ingredients for this brew yesterday and plan on brewing it this weekend. Thanks!

mine finished at 1.022 as well, it tastes great, but has kind of poor head retention, not sure why....anyone else experience this?

Brewing this recipe today as a partial mash – anyone know if a partial mash should use the same 75-min mash-in time as the all-grain recipe calls for?

Edit: for anyone else doing the PM, the answer is yes - I hit the preboil target spot-on, though I did have to add 1lbs 2 oz of DME to hit the target OG.

jwbeard said:
Brewing this recipe today as a partial mash – anyone know if a partial mash should use the same 75-min mash-in time as the all-grain recipe calls for?

I did a 60 min mash on my PM version posted above, met my target OG, came out tasty!

Tapped a keg of this incredible brew this weekend. We did AG and after the 21 day primary we racked into the secondary and added homemade vanilla extract (2 tahitian vanillia beans, diced and soaked in an once of vodka in a mason jar for 21 days). It is one of the best stouts I've ever had.

OG of 1.067 FG of 1.020. Used WL004 and mashed at 154* no sparge. Grain bill increased by 25%. I'm really looking forward to this.one

Has anyone had any trouble getting this beer to carbonate? I have had mine in the keg force carbonating for almost 2 months and there is very little carbonation. I checked the keg, it's fine. The other kegs (4) are fine. It's just weird.

is there a point instead of adding the lactose in fermentation instead of at bottling/kegging?

it's commonly written that yeast struggle with higher OG, but not clear if that's referring to fermentable sugars or everything in there.

I don't know if that's the issue, I'm force carbing these, I just can't get it to absorb any co2. I've tried cranking up the pressure and it doesn't seem to help.

I am planning on force carbonating as well. One more week in secondary. What temp is keg/beer at while attempting force carb?

38 degrees. I've made 30 gallons of this, for some reason this one batch just won't carbonate, no matter what I do. It tastes great, just a little flat.

Irishwrench said:
I am planning on force carbonating as well. One more week in secondary. What temp is keg/beer at while attempting force carb?

Search the forum for carbonation chart. But itncomes down to, the lower the temp the lower the needed pressure because the colder liquid will absorb the co2 easier. So I Carb at a higher pressure because I don't have room in the fridge.

Hellbentbrewco,

I am having the same trouble, tastes great just a little flat. It has been at 36 degrees and 12 PSI for 4 weeks yesterday. This is my first attempt at force carb and my only other beer in still in seconday so I have nothing to compare it to.

My buddy had this problem with his batch. He tried bottling but they wouldnt carb so he kegged them and they carbed fine.

I bottled mine from the same batch and they are carbed but it is low. My wife opened a warm one (cooking some cubcakes, yummmmm) and the thing fizzed all over the place. ?????

AA

Search the forum for carbonation chart. But itncomes down to, the lower the temp the lower the needed pressure because the colder liquid will absorb the co2 easier. So I Carb at a higher pressure because I don't have room in the fridge.

Thanks. I have that chart taped to the side of my freezer. Maybe Ill just throw some corn sugar in keg and call it a day.

i'd be up for trying the cake recipe.

did you guys try adding a little bit of yeast or stirring up the slurry a little on the bottom if you had a long secondary time? i don't keg, but i've had issues with carbonation when I have long secondaries, so i pitch a tiny bit of yeast when i bottle on these long aging beers (oaked stuff mostly that go for almost 6 weeks before the bottle). might not be the problem, but worth looking at with some of the long secondaries i have seen reported here.

Yeah, I love LH's version; any extract/steep suggestions?

I know this is a wicked old post but I just wanted to say that you can find extract / partial mash / all-grain versions of this in Clone Brews, 2nd Edition.

edit : didn't notice this thread was 19 pages long. Apologies if someone already referenced the CB recipe.

so, anyone still following this post that has brewed the beer. How long do I bottle condition for and how much cocoa powder would you recommend to get just a hint of the chocolate to it, like 2 oz ???

Thx for the help

Its called a chocolate Guinness cake but We used the LHMS. worked nice

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/chocolate-guinness-cake-3086

i'd be up for trying the cake recipe.

did you guys try adding a little bit of yeast or stirring up the slurry a little on the bottom if you had a long secondary time? i don't keg, but i've had issues with carbonation when I have long secondaries, so i pitch a tiny bit of yeast when i bottle on these long aging beers (oaked stuff mostly that go for almost 6 weeks before the bottle). might not be the problem, but worth looking at with some of the long secondaries i have seen reported here.

Brewed this today after an irish red. Pretty ambitious day. Anyway I have never had the left hand but this looked and smelled delicious. Can't wait to try it. First milk stout ag. Could be a regular in my fridge very soon. Thanks for the recipe.

using 2oz of cocoa nibs in secondary on this recipe. tasting so nice right now, i almost want to drink it without bottle conditioning it.

Yeap; 1056, WLP001, US05 pretty much the same thing.
68F and let it rip

I'm going to try a repitch of WLP002 for my next batch.

Just transferred to secondary and the aroma was fantastic. Cannot wait to try this. Will post a pic and tasting notes when I try it.

haygood said:
Yeap; 1056, WLP001, US05 pretty much the same thing.
68F and let it rip

I'm going to try a repitch of WLP002 for my next batch.

I have heard people say the 002 under ferments, but I have not had that problem with it, and I am closing in on 10 generations now. Just pitch a healthy starter if you can (I like to get it active with a small amount of wort so it takes off on brew day. Enjoy

Is one package of S-05 enough to ferment this? When I run this through pitch rate calculators it recommends 2+ packets.

chalmer9 said:
Is one package of S-05 enough to ferment this? When I run this through pitch rate calculators it recommends 2+ packets.

You can pitch 1 packet, but 2 is a lot better for the yeast. Or make a small starter 1-2 days before to increase your yeast count.

Well it's official...this beer is delicious!! The mouth feel is silky smooth. The aroma chocolate, caramel, roasted malt. The color is dark as night.

ForumRunner_20120523_184315.jpg

Back