need HELP with my breakfast stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tellish33

Reaction score
The directions arent as detailed as when you buy a kit. Sorry for all the questions but I want this to turn out really good and I figuered you guys were the best to help.The recipe says to add the Sumatran coffee and two chocolate varieties (dark,bittersweet bakers chocolate and unsweetened chocolate baking nibs) at the end of the boil. The last stout I made had you make a cold extraction with the coffee and add it when you racked to secondary.

My question is.......Should I brew the coffee and then have it standing by to add at the end of boil or should I make a cold extraction and add it at the end of the boil? Also, how do you add the chocolate varieties? Do you just toss them in like it says and stir them until melted?

Same goes for the Kona coffee. It says to add it when transfering to secondary. I am assuming you have to make a cold extraction before adding.

I plan on making this tomorrow. This will be my third brew (second stout). Thanks so much in advance for the help.

When I've made coffee beers, I've always steeped the coffee grounds in the wort just after I kill the heat. Coffee connoisseurs will tell you that "a coffee boiled is a coffee spoiled..." so I wouldn't add the grounds to the boil. I would imagine that you could brew the coffee beforehand and add that to the secondary, but I don't have experience with that. I've had good results with just putting the grounds in a hop sock and dropping it in the wort after the boil ends and let it steep for several minutes.

As far as the chocolate, I would add it to the boil within the last 5-10 minutes. I've only used cocoa powder and never chocolate itself, but I imagine it's the same principle.

TB

I've made something similar, added coffee when it was down to 180-190 in a muslin bag (not a Muslim bag). Didn't add anymore coffee as it's pretty strong.

I used nibs and cocoa powder, head retention is really good.

Back