My Kenmore 8.8cf coffin keezer build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tat2nBrew

Reaction score
Ok, I just got a bunch of stuff in today for my build. Please be patient because I am not sure how often I will get to play with this project but I normally have more free time in the winter so that is why I am starting it now.

First off, Thanks to Jester and the countless others who have worked out a lot of the details already. You surely will make my build easier than if I was to try it without such great resources.

I am going to try and keep a running tally of the total amount spent and also the time I spend on the project so other will have an idea what to expect in the future. Sorry about the crappy phone pictures but my Nikon D80 lens just went in for repairs. I hope to have it back in about a week or so.

Here are the parts that arrived from Keg Connection today plus two ball locks that I had purchased last year from them.
5448-kegging.jpg

Here is my new Kenmore 8.8cf chest freezer.
5449-freezer.jpg

5450-open-freezer.jpg

Four ball locks fit nicely on the floor and there is still room for a co2 tank on the floor also.
5451-kegs.jpg

I popped the lids inner plastic liner and seal off.
5452-lid-wiring.jpg

I used some colored electrical tape to mark what wires went to where just in case my memory fails me later.
5453-lid-wiring-2.jpg

Today I spent maybe an hour unpacking everything,taking the lid apart, removing the lid and the hinges from the freezer to have better access to everything. I also took some accurate measurements of the lid and base so I can start messing around with some sketches to decide which way to go forward. My big decision is whether to skirt the front and sides of the freezer or just trim out the base nicely and allow the black freezer body to be visible. I really like the idea for the wood grain appearance but I am nit sure if I can pull it off to the degree that I would like it. I want to have this in my dining room or den when it is finished. I may have to enlist the help of my father and some of his wood working goodies that he has.

I marked all the wires to the lid but I am not sure if I will use any of them when I reassemble because it is just lighting and the passages to the coffin might need to be located where the light is. Not to mention I have not decided if I am going to retain the plastic lid liner or use a sheet of plywood like some others have.

Totals:
1 Kenmore 8.8cf chest freezer $300.68 with tax from Sears(on sale)
4 Premium faucet refrigerator ball lock conversion kit $280.00
2 Cornelius keg upgrade $99.90
1 Taprite co2 regulator dual body upgrade $35.00
4 525SS upgrade $100.00
1 16x5 Stainless drip tray with drain $79.95
2 additional kegs bought last year $107.85

Total to date: $1003.38
Time to date: 1 hour

Questions for the pros: How is everyone supporting the bolts through the lid that hold the top in place. The soft insulation and flimsy plastic liner will completely collapse with the slightest pressure. I was thinking about using a 3/8" plywood panel on the inside of the sheet metal lid to stiffen everything as well as distribute the load across the entire surface by sandwiching the metal. Then I could either slightly condense the original insulation and replace the plastic liner or use 1/2" plywood and 1" solid foam insulation under the plastic liner. That will also eliminate the unsightly screw heads from being visible. Does this sound like it would be strong enough?

I have the exact freezer with four taps. I did a simple collar. Very curious to see how yours turns out. I may have to modify mine.

On my freezer, I designed mine to slide over the top. Has side supports that "pinch" the top, then has a groove that I made with screws. The groover is smaller than the top; this works because the plastic sealing is maleable and slightly smaller. The counter slides on top of the freezer top and stays on it as I lift it up, all the way.

Can't wait to see it all come together. I love reading and following though coffin keezer builds. By the looks of that fancy new freezer and your kegging equipment, your off to a great start. :mug:

What types of materials are ya thinkin'?

On my freezer, I designed mine to slide over the top. Has side supports that "pinch" the top, then has a groove that I made with screws. The groover is smaller than the top; this works because the plastic sealing is maleable and slightly smaller. The counter slides on top of the freezer top and stays on it as I lift it up, all the way.
That is an interesting idea. Do you have any pictures of that?

Can't wait to see it all come together. I love reading and following though coffin keezer builds. By the looks of that fancy new freezer and your kegging equipment, your off to a great start. :mug:

What types of materials are ya thinkin'?

Thanks you! Wood and some tile but not exactly sure what kinds yet. Going to look at a couple of the local lumberyards and see what is available. I do not know a whole lot about woods so any pointers would be great.

Where are you putting it when your done? You can try to match the decor of your trim, cabinetry, furniture, etc. I did mine in a very rustic design to fit into my basement design....lots of cedar logs and knotty pine, but the sky's the limit with these things. Check out my thread if your interested, it's in my sig. line. I'm happy to help in anyway that I can to get you going with this project! :mug:

Where are you putting it when your done? You can try to match the decor of your trim, cabinetry, furniture, etc. I did mine in a very rustic design to fit into my basement design....lots of cedar logs and knotty pine, but the sky's the limit with these things. Check out my thread if your interested, it's in my sig. line. I'm happy to help in anyway that I can to get you going with this project! :mug:
It will most likely be going in the dining room or my den. Neither room has what I would consider permanent furniture yet so I may have to design the room around the keezer later. lol

I started reading your build thread last night and got about 10 pages in before I had to get to bed, I will try and finish it tonight. It was looking great where I left off and if you ever find yourself in a tornado just stay next to it and you will be safe because nothing is going to break that thing.

Some more goodies. Here is the Johnson A419 control and I bought a 120v fan just in case I decide to enclose the front and sides of the freezer.
5455-thermostat.jpg

Totals:
4 525SS upgrade $100.00
1 Johnson A419 control $65.00
1 Cooltron 115v 120cfm fan $20.00

Total to date: $1088.38

Questions for the pros: For those of you who have enclosed the front and sides of the freezer what do you think the minimum space should be if using a fan and ducting the air to cool those areas?

Looks like you are covering all your bases! Thanks for the update on costs and time as well! Will be a big help to others building a keezer!

Check out my thread if your interested, it's in my sig. line. I'm happy to help in anyway that I can to get you going with this project!
I finally got through your whole build thread and it came out great. You just gotta get the SWMBO to let you use a similar treatment on that fridge. You have me thinking I wished I went with the dual control thermostat for the fan in the coffin though.

After reading a number of threads I am pretty sure that I will need longer beer lines to the taps. If the general consensus is at least 6-10ft I wonder why Keg Connection insists on providing only 5ft/tap? I know that I would have been happy to pay a few extra bucks for the right length rather than having to buy it separately and pay shipping later.

Thanks again to all of you who have provided insight with your own build threads.

I got some time to learn learn/play with Google Sketchup today. Here is what I came up with so far. I am sure it will change a little as I go because I want to use the router to kill some of the sharp 90 degree edges and can only hope that it turns out half as good as some of the builds that I have seen on here. I am pretty sure that I am going to make the skirt a little wider than the freezer so that I can have the co2 next to the freezer and not in it to avoid problems down the road. I am leaving 3 inches on one side and 9 inches on the other. There will only be 1.5 inches in front but I will probably force air through that area just to be safe. The color and tile will be different but I am definitely going to stick with darker shades of each. There is only so much that I could do with the software while just learning it.

Basic design
5464-keezer-model.jpg

From the back
5465-keezer-model-back.jpg

View when open
5466-keezer-model-open.jpg

Any additional input that you might have while I am still in the design phase would be great.

If you are going to have empty space on the left of the freezer inside the "coffin," why not put in a shelf or drawers that will open from the front? That way you can make use of that extra space and have a great place to store your glasses.

If you are going to have empty space on the left of the freezer inside the "coffin," why not put in a shelf or drawers that will open from the front? That way you can make use of that extra space and have a great place to store your glasses.
Side4.jpg

Thanks, I had considered doing something like what bbently40 did in the above picture but then I decided that is where I plan on putting the co2 tank because some others had problems with regulators inside the freezer and also a fan to blow air past the front of the freezer because there is only 1 1/2" spacing there.

I had a pretty busy week at the warehouse so I did not get anything done but I just grabbed the 2x4's and plywood for the base and frame and ordered the casters and LED light strip. I should have some time next week to start getting the frame together.

Totals:
4 525SS upgrade $100.00
1 Johnson A419 control $65.00
1 Cooltron 115v 120cfm fan $20.00
4 3" Casters (2 rigid, 2 swivel) $25.38 + S&H
6 2x4x8 and 1 sheet 19/32" plywood an 12 "L" braces $45.23
1 45cm LED light strip $4.82

Total to date: $1163.81

Hey everyone, I just wanted to drop you a line and let you know that I have not forgotten you. I just do not have anywhere near as much free time as I thought I would so far this winter and now the Holidays are here too. That means business is good but I have not been able to start the keezer build yet. I have had a few more parts show up and picked up the wood for the framing but have not even started looking at the wood for finishing yet. I assure you that this will get done as most of the parts are already here but I need to find some free time to do it.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!
Marc

Hey Marc.

Any updates? Yours is the exact same freezer I'm about to buy so I'm looking for some inspiration. Love the sketches.

Sorry guys, I am beside myself at this point. I have not been able to work on this keezer since I gathered all the goodies. My business is going crazy and I am doing about triple was I was this time last year. I hired a few people to help me out but my schedule is relentless until maybe October. I think that I have to at least get the cooling working because the wife is wanting to brew and we really do not want to bottle again.

epateddy, sorry I did not get in touch but this is the first I have been on here in months. You are probably way ahead of me by now so I will be hitting you up for tips instead of the way you pictured it... lol

Thanks for your patience!
Marc

I think I leapfrogged you. I was going crazy trying to figure out why I couldn't get four kegs to fit to the right of the hump like everyone else. Finally dawned on me that I got the 7.2...not the 8.8

Glad to hear business is doing well. Good problem to have.

Cheers.

keezer.JPG

Hi

The 8.8 will hold four ball locks but not four 1/6 bbl commercial kegs. ... off to the 14.8 cubic foot.

Bob

Latest posts

Back