Berliner Weisse???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgontasz

Reaction score
So a few weeks back I made a half batch of a saison that I have brewed a few times with much success. I just bought the ingrediants for the full batch and had it split in half. Now I want to do something different with what I have left. I've been wanting to jump into sours for a while now and the April issue of Zymurgy inspired me to give the quick sour mash method a go! I made my starter yesterday and it is sitting im my sweltering attic as we speak. Here's my grain bill let me know what you think!

60 min mash @ 149 (6.5 gal wort for 5 gal batch)
3.5 lbs us 2 row
1 lb Munich
1 lb Wheat
.5 oz Hallertau (60 min)
Safeale-05 after 24 hours @ 100 degrees in my MLT w. sour starter

I realize that the "weisse" part is a little light, but will this really be an issue? I just want a low ABV, tart, refreshing beer.

Thoughts, comments, criticisms???

I just want a low ABV, tart, refreshing beer.

Thoughts, comments, criticisms???

It's not a berliner weisse at all, but don't let that stop you. Have you thought about a sour saison? You could pitch your sour starter, followed by saison yeast. I've done similar on a split batch and it turned out well.

I was just planning on using the 05 because I have it and it saves me a trip to the HBS. Also, I wanted it to ferment fairly clean to keep it nice and light. I guess I can just call it a "sour session"

I was just planning on using the 05 because I have it and it saves me a trip to the HBS. Also, I wanted it to ferment fairly clean to keep it nice and light. I guess I can just call it a "sour session"

I wouldn't worry too much about what to call it, as long as it tastes good. ;)

My biggest worry is the hallertau at 60mins. It shouldnt be an issue as long as the AA was low since I believe at 4.5% it only comes out to 8-9 IBUs, but thats something you have to be careful of. Lacto doesnt work well with too many hops.

As for the beer, definitely not a "weisse", but a session should be fine. US-05 is just fine as the yeast, though I would consider pulling maybe a gallon of your wort off and letting it sit with some fresh grain for 5-6 days. You get some nasty smelling wort but its sour as h$ll and will speed up the souring process.

My biggest worry is the hallertau at 60mins. It shouldnt be an issue as long as the AA was low since I believe at 4.5% it only comes out to 8-9 IBUs, but thats something you have to be careful of. Lacto doesnt work well with too many hops.

Lacto from a grain sour mash will work fine with hops. There are lots of lactic acid bacteria- it's just that the particular one sold by the commercial companies is fairly hop-intolerant.

US-05 is just fine as the yeast, though I would consider pulling maybe a gallon of your wort off and letting it sit with some fresh grain for 5-6 days. You get some nasty smelling wort but its sour as h$ll and will speed up the souring process.

I'm using the method in Zymurgy using a lacto starter. I put a handfull of grain in with a 1.030 wort and I'm keeping it hot in my atticfor about three days. After I use that to infect the total wort I'll let it sit at about 100 degrees (in my shed) for 24 hours. Then drain and boil/hop for 60 min and cool/pitch as usual!

Fingers crossed, it will turn out just fine!

Back