Actual in-kettle element length?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psych

Reaction score
I'm so confused. My kettle has a 15 inch inside diameter. From what I've seen, Blichmann Boilermaker 20 gallon kettles have a 17.7 inch diameter.

In Kal's build, he shows this element (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000BPG4LI) which says on Amazon that it's got a 17.7 inch length, and it's nowhere near across the entire diameter of his kettle.

So question is, how long are these elements, actually? Like in pot length, if mounted via a hole in the side of the kettle? Can I fit this in a 15 inch diameter kettle?

Thanks!

I would contact the seller, though a quick glance at the product info states it requires a minimum 15" diameter.

The seller will have a tech spec sheet to tell you length from tip to fitting.

Psych,

I just measured mine- it's 13.5" from where the rubber gasket touches the hex to the tip of the element. The overall length is 14 3/8". The in kettle length will depend on what kind of fitting you use to attach it to on your kettle, but that doesn't matter in your case because you have plenty of room!

Just another confirmation of length here with a couple of pics I snapped with my tape measure next to my Camco element.

Here is the length of the entire element:

221890_10101040225082484_9314355_81422977_7766079_n.jpg

And the length from the base of the element where it enters the threads:

223370_10101040225511624_9314355_81422988_4086616_n.jpg

I'm betting Amazon is reporting the length of the packaging, not the actual element. Feel like putting that tape on the entire backer for the packaged element Natty?

Yeah not a problem. I'll snap a pic when I get home from work today. I am guessing they are referencing the length of the packaging.

Matt

Wow thanks guys, totally what I was looking for! :D

That'll fit great, now to figure out how to get one shipped to Canada without paying 5x as much for it..grrr...curse you Amazon, you tease!

How much does Amazon want to charge you for shipping? I have no idea how much USPS charges for international shipping to Canada but I'd gladly help a fellow home brewer out to serve as a mail forwarder if USPS international is competitive. Let me know.

Matt

Appreciate the offer, but I've found a comparable element locally finally. Whew! The Amazon shipping was cheap, like $7 or something, but using a forwarding service in Washington was going to cost some $30 extra.

So I wound up finding at Home Hardware (smaller version of Home Depot, maybe Canadian only) a 4500watt 240volt low density element that requires only 11.5 inches within the tank. That'll fit nicely, and they're local in case I accidentally burn it out I can always "no questions asked" money back guarantee it ;)

It's hard to justify tripling the cost of the element just to get the extra low density version that is commonly used.

Glad to hear you found one locally and yeah the low density element should be just fine. I think for the most part the wort scorching issues suggested with high density elements are just myths so the Ultra Low Density is use by most to provide some "idiot proof" protection for us electric brewers out there.

If you fire up a higher density electric element that isn't submerged in liquid it will pop and be ruined pretty quickly whereas the ULWD elements can sustain dry firing for those times when you inevitably are and idiot and turn an element on without it being submerged.

Good luck with the build and glad we could help you out a bit! Happy Brewing.

Matt

Glad to hear you found one locally and yeah the low density element should be just fine. I think for the most part the wort scorching issues suggested with high density elements are just myths so the Ultra Low Density is use by most to provide some "idiot proof" protection for us electric brewers out there.

If you fire up a higher density electric element that isn't submerged in liquid it will pop and be ruined pretty quickly whereas the ULWD elements can sustain dry firing for those times when you inevitably are and idiot and turn an element on without it being submerged.

Matt

Ya iv accidentally drained my kettle while the element was on twice now, luckily my element survived haha.

Matt

Back