Worried about my apfelwein (mold?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben_Persitz

Reaction score
I've had this going for about 24 hours and there appears to be little white mold spots on top in addition to little bubbles. No airlock activity.

I sanitized everything pretty well, and poured it in. Been sitting at about 68 degrees.

Never had an infection, but this white **** doesn't look normal. Any ideas?

IMAG01871.jpg

Don't worry. It's just yeasties collecting together.

Think about how long it takes for something normal to mold. Have you ever left a coffee mug with coffee in it for an extended period of time? It wont mold in 24 hours. Hell, even after a week it may or may not be showing signs.

It's just getting started, relax and watch it work over the next few weeks. You should soon be seeing a constant stream off fine bubbles up from the bottom (that is if you used the Montrachet wine yeast).

I am no expert on mold .... unless you had atrocious santitation, I don't know how mold could multiply and become so prevelant in 24 hours.

It's just fermentation :)

I was just about to send in a picture of my 24 hour old apflewein that looks almost the same. I don't have any bubbles yet, but I have the white spots. Thanks for the info.

Back