How to identify a happy wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
erbxx0.jpg
]
IPA on the whole cake

A while back someone asked about over-yeasting. This is 8 hours after the explosion.

The obscene part was all that ale that went on the walls and down the drain. Must have lost a couple quarts.

Or "Why blow-off tubes exist" ;)

My last batch I pitched on a health yeast cake in my 6.5 gal carboy. The krausen filled my blow-off tube and was kicking stuff into the bucket. Keep in mind I use 1" vinyl tubing. I'd hate to see what would have happened if I used the usual airlock :eek:

"Thar she blows!"

that is amazing. I certainly didn't get that kind of action from my brew...but I didn't get a lot of mess to clean up either. I guess there is a trade off.

Did this result happen because you used way to much live yeast at once and it fermented your sugar to quickly or did you choose a container to small?

holy crap! I've never had an explosion like that - never used a blowoff tube although I did buy one - but with my vanilla cream ale I found the airlock a few feet away from the bucket when it first started kicking. But I guess that's just co2, not the krausen.

Yeah,

Over flow hose till that stops,
then ... the airlock.

Otherwise that would happen nearly everytime.

J. Knife

One of the funniest homebrew-related pictures I've ever seen! I liked it so much, I sent a link to my girlfriend.

Back