I've created a monster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clann

Reaction score
In the end of september I started my muscadine wine. Starting gravity- 1.120
Present gravity- .990 and still fermenting!

I wonder how low it will go? Its already at 17%!!

6 gallon

24# muscadine (golden green)
2# sugar per gallon
yeast nutrient
montrachet and champagine yeast (wasnt sure if one would be enough and only had those two packs)

Tasted last night. Pretty dry but still plenty of muscadine flavor. Suprisingly not alcohol hot though its definatly there. Wonder how long the beast will take to age properly.

Tasted last night. Pretty dry but still plenty of muscadine flavor. Suprisingly not alcohol hot though its definatly there. Wonder how long the beast will take to age properly.

It won't go any lower than .990- that's bone dry. You may take a LONG time to age it so it doesn't taste like rocket fuel, though!

I'd keep it under airlock and rack it every time you get lees 1/4" thick over the course of 60 days. After it stops dropping lees, it could be either aged in the carboy or bottled.

Thanks Yooper, it is pretty dry and I know it could take a long time to age.
I'm glad you chimed in cause I wanted to ask you if a cold crash will be beneficial?
In a previous post you talked about crystals in the wine.

Thanks--Chris

Thanks Yooper, it is pretty dry and I know it could take a long time to age.
I'm glad you chimed in cause I wanted to ask you if a cold crash will be beneficial?
In a previous post you talked about crystals in the wine.

Thanks--Chris

I think cold stabilization is always a good thing, after fermentation and some aging are done. I try to do that with all of my red wines.

Back