HELP! Screwed up my grain measurements...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elcerritonoob

Reaction score
First post. So I managed to screw this one up before I left the store. I'm trying to mini-mash a Jenlain Biere de Garde from Clone Brews. It calls for 5oz munich malt, 6oz 60L crystal malt, and 3#s 2-row pils.

I weighted out about 8oz and 10oz respectively of the specialty grains and 3lbs of the pils and intended to sort the exact measurements out at home. Well, when the guy at LHBS asked if I wanted my grain cracked, I said "sure". So it all got cracked together and put into one bag. Now, I could pick each grain out one at a time, smell it, sort it, etc, but I have a feeling I'm not going to do that.

My question is, if I just subtract 8oz of the total grain, is this beer gonna taste like crap or will I never know the difference?

Thanks in advance for feedback!

I'd just roll with what you have or toss some additional 2 row into the mix *and sub extract accordingly* to level it out.

luckily neither of those malts are 'aggressive' in terms of flavor. a few extra oz of each won't break the recipe at all.

Just add 1#12oz of pils. You'll even out the recipe to the original ratios. Then you can either subtract some grain or add a little more water.

Or you could just brew with what you have and call it beer.

B

luckily neither of those malts are 'aggressive' in terms of flavor. a few extra oz of each won't break the recipe at all.

+1...you are fine IMO. The beer will be darker due to the added crystal, and will be different then planned (darker, sweeter w/ more body), but those changes should not be objectionable by any means IMO.

Back