Stuck Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
So I brewed a brown ale a couple of weeks ago, with an OG of 1.059 and I checked the gravity at 5 days or so and it was 1.035. Well last night, two weeks later, when I was ready to keg the gravity was 1.030!! anyway, since I was also brewing a cream ale I used some of that yeast from the starter and pitched it in the brown ale. Hopefully it'll finish the rest of the fermentation. This morning the bubbler was going a little bit. Anyway, why would this have happened? Kind of a bummer...

Most of my stuck fermentations were before I started aerating two or three times. Since you used a starter, I'm a little surprised. Recipe?

Mash temp too high, unfermentables in recipe, bad yeast, fermentation temp out of spec, poor aeration... or all of the preceding. :)

Well, it's been 5 days since I repitched and I just checked the gravity... and it's a whooping 1 point lower. Yeah, it's at 1.029 now. Hell, I probably can't read it well enough at that small difference. Anyway, most of the fermentables in this brew was amber malt extract. 8lbs of it. Anyway, is this going to get any better or am I stuck with a 1.029 FG?

You could try some yeast energizer, aeration, my LHBS guy says amylase enzyme can help.

Well, a week later and it's still at 1.029. I racked a different batch of beer to secondary and then this one onto that yeast cake. Hopefully that'll help... we'll see...

Back