online stores...ordering brew supplies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steiner

Reaction score
I've fortunately been closeby a local HBS since I started brewing, however, for the next two months I'm over 1/2 hr away from one. I know, it's not that bad, but I drive a truck and gas is killing me. I'll soon be in a better brewing location, but I wanted some recommendations for online suppliers.

From these forums I've heard of AustinHomeBrew. Unfortunately, I failed to add the necessary two hours for Central Time and missed their 10% sale this weekend by 5 minutes.

First off- would you recommend going to these places or getting your own ingredients? I'm a little concerned about the shipped liquid yeast (even though it's chilled and packed), so I would likely go to the HBS myself for that at least. What are your views of this supplier (AHS) as well as other suppliers?

I'm planning on brewing a brown ale and mildly-hopped pale ale next. Got any recommendations? Any kits/recipes that were particularly worthwhile? I only have the capability for extract with steeping grains at this time.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions. I'm itching to brew. Thanks a lot.

AHS has a stellar reputation. So does Northern Brewer. So does morebeer.

There are a few really good sites out there and I would trust any of them to get you what you needed. Also, they do pack ice on the yeast. Some people complain that it is still too warm when it arrives, but they never usually have a problem with viability of said yeast. Give it a shot. Any of these bigger sites will likely replace yeast if it goes bad in shipping, and you save the trip.

AHS is an awesome store!! I've never had any problems with them, and from what I've heard, if something wasn't right, they'd fix it right away. I get most of my supplies there, and although I've never purchased liquid yeast from them, I have from other online stores and never had a problem.

I've been experimenting with different online vendors such as AHS, Northern Brewer, Midwest, and maybe a couple of others. AHS prices are a bit higher but they offers flat rate shipping. NB offers flat-rate shipping on some things. So typically what I end up doing is building the same cart on 2 or 3 different web sites and see who comes out cheaper when I include shipping. It varies per order. Some vendors (AHS) use packing peanuts in their boxes which I really hate because they get everywhere. I think that I'd go a dollar or two extra with another vendor just to avoid it. :)

...but I should add that AHS probably has the best designed web site and sometimes the ease of navigation makes all the difference.

Consider the physical location of the online store as well. For me, AHS is the only way to go, since my orders arrive VERY quickly. I'm willing to sacrifice a couple of dollars for convenience (and to support a shop that regularly supports HBT).

most online shops are fairly competitive with the pricing. I would make the drive for yeast though and bring an ice chest. I live 20-30 min from my lhbs and he will even supply the icepack. It doesn't take long for a little tube of yeast to cook in a vehicle. Remember to buy enough for the next few brews so you dont make the trip every time.

Thanks for all of the props. I am striving to have the best store possible.

Please do me a favor.

Please use the homebrew stores name in the posts. Don't use AHS for Austin Homebrew Supply or NB for Northern Brewer.

The more our store names are mentioned or used as a link, the higher we go on Google. You guys help my Google placement alot but you have to refer to the store by the full name.

Thanks for helping.

Forrest

Austin Home Brew would come out on top if Austin Home Brew would use paper or bubble plastic instead of packing peanuts. Austin Home Brew has a good web site which is easy to navigate and intelligent. More HB vendors should follow Austin Home Brew's lead.

:off:Could we get the web site administrator to automatically replace "AHS" with Austin Home Brew? It would save a lot of typing. :)

Well I am VERY new to brewing and this forum but here is my two cents worth.

I started off with Williams Brewing http://www.williamsbrewing.com/ , Simply because they sent me a catalog in the mail. I studied it and decided to start my brewing experience with them. All the start up equipment I bought with them and three starter brewing kits. That all came with a standard $6.99 flat rate shipping fee that seemed to show up in just a few days. The bottles cost me a bit more on shipping, "Can't remember how much, sorry". I refrigerated all three kits when I got them and I think the longest any of the "Wyeast" packs waited for me to brew was probably 40 days. They all swelled up within 2 days of me smacking them. Never had to use their tech support. I find their web sight a bit slow and not real easy to find stuff but they have seemed to be the cheapest on most items or the same as others.

I then heard about Northern Brewer http://www.northernbrewer.com/. Checked them out and found them a little more expensive on a couple of items than Williams and their flat rate shipping I believe was $7.99 but they were running a special of $0 shipping if ordered before a certain time. I hit them up and bought a bunch of bottles which saved me a TON on shipping. I have had to use their support twice and they have been unbelievably accommodating both times. I mean so much so that I am thinking they will now be my primary web supplier just because of how much they help to make sure I get what I want when I want it. I also like their web site much better than Williams.

But now you guys have supplies me with a new name Austin Homebrew Supply http://www.austinhomebrew.com/ and I will check them out when next I need something simply because of the great reviews you guys are giving them.

I have a very good LHBS just a few miles away and both Midwest and Northern are a 20 minute drive for me. But I have ordered a lot of gear online. I like William's (they were fantastic in making good on a damaged shipment). MoreBeer has been great, too, with free shipping for orders over $59.

I will throw a couple more in that I have had good service from..Great Fermentations and HomeBrew Supply..I have also ordered from Northern brewer(many times) and Austin Homebrew Supply..I believe I have also order from Midwest as well..So far ALL have done a good job on order fulfillment and quick shipping..

I love Austin for buying grain because of the ability to buy in fractional amounts and have your recipe put all together in one bag. Does anyone know of any other online shops that do that? I have purchased from others and had great experiences but haven't seen that feature anywhere else.

Most of the time I go to my local homebrew shop first, on the stuff they don't have, my second choice is Austin Homebrew Supply, I don't know what the shipping is out of state, but it's really cheap in Texas. I also like that AHS has great customer service.

For the other online stores, I've used Nothern Brewer a few times (when they have good sales), they ship sort of timely and seem well ran, but I find that they're higher than most other online shops on everything.

I've also ordered a few times from Adventures In Homebrewing, they have cheap prices and I've never had any troubles getting responses from them. http://www.homebrewing.org/

I've also placed an order from Hops Direct for a bulk hop purchase. I'm set now for a year, but I'd order from them again.

I love Austin for buying grain because of the ability to buy in fractional amounts and have your recipe put all together in one bag. Does anyone know of any other online shops that do that? I have purchased from others and had great experiences but haven't seen that feature anywhere else.

Brew Brothers sell to the tenth of the pound with a toggle to keep separate or add to one of five different bags.

Barley & Vine will sell by the ounce online, and you can get it bagged as you wish if you add a note. There's not an online prompt. I have been told by management that they will sell by the milligram, but that would have go through email rather than their website.

Last edited:
I"ve recently been buying most of my supplies from Ritebrew.com They have actual shipping on little items, like yeast, and my things come in two days. http://www.ritebrew.com/Default.asp

I think I had free shipping, or flat rate shipping on a very large order before Christmas, but I can't remember exactly.

I think that it helps to have a store close by if you are ordering things like yeast that could sit in a freezing truck or hot truck over a long weekend.

I'd be pretty happy to have a place only a half hour away. Shipping costs suck here so I'm better off driving an hour each way, even with my truck.

I usually buy whole sacks of grain from Northern Brewer, and almost everything else from Farmhouse. I also buy quite a bit of small stuff from the two LHBS's.

I have a 130 mile round trip drive to my store and because they are great mentors, I don't mind the drive. That said, I do shop online from time to time when my shop does not have what I'm looking for. Northern Brewers and Austin Homebew is my two favorite places to shop. Excellent customer service on both.

I"ve recently been buying most of my supplies from Ritebrew.com They have actual shipping on little items, like yeast, and my things come in two days. http://www.ritebrew.com/Default.asp

Thanks for posting this, I thought their prices were pretty good. I thought I would just see what the prices would be for a 1G recipe that I increased to 2.25G. After adding it all up it was just a couple dollars more than what the 1G recipe had cost from another vendor.

I didn't notice that the drive was only 1/2 hour. If it was that close, Id probably shop there.

The closest store to me is probably about 200 miles away, maybe more.

I tend to only buy grains and last minute items from my LHBS , but I have to admit I took full advantage of the AHS 4 used ball lock keg deal for $160 ($187 shipped to my door) about 10 mins ago and have always had good luck with them..NBrewer can be hit or miss at times with shipping times, etc.
Midwest I have had issues with on them about a year ago sending the wrong stuff or items arriving in less than new shape. Have not used them since so they may have gotten better..

Nobody has mentioned Homebrewsupply.com? I have tried most of the others people had noted and had the best experience with them. Prices are fantastic, flat rate shipping, and best customer service by far. Look in the reviews thread.

Nobody has mentioned Homebrewsupply.com? I have tried most of the others people had noted and had the best experience with them. Prices are fantastic, flat rate shipping, and best customer service by far. Look in the reviews thread.

Pretty sure that's the same cats behind this forum
I get 90% of my stuff from rebelbrewer.com, which is right down the road. Tom is a super good guy and runs it honest. It's not a huge operation, but good enough for most needs.
Most of my hardware is from brewhardware. Bobby is stand-up as well and makes *the best* fittings you can find. Also, tends to have good prices on # of hops.

If your LHBS is not a "local" option or you are not satisfied, I cannot recommend RiteBrew enough! Fantastic shipping, great prices and if you ever have a question, Neil is always spot on with answers and help. Also, when it comes to shipping Liquid yeast, RiteBrew does a very good job in taking care of it.

Another option is also HomeBrewSupply.com is a good resource. They have a really neat Recipe Builder area. It is very helpful if you like to go 1 stop shopping and check out. I have never ordered Liquid Yeast from them though so I cannot attest to that.

That said, supporting your "local" HBS is something to consider so long as it is a realistic option. I personally don't even buy from Northern or Midwest anymore just because of the pricing. For me, pricing is huge.

If your LHBS is not a "local" option or you are not satisfied, I cannot recommend RiteBrew enough! Fantastic shipping, great prices and if you ever have a question, Neil is always spot on with answers and help. Also, when it comes to shipping Liquid yeast, RiteBrew does a very good job in taking care of it.

Another option is also HomeBrewSupply.com is a good resource. They have a really neat Recipe Builder area. It is very helpful if you like to go 1 stop shopping and check out. I have never ordered Liquid Yeast from them though so I cannot attest to that.

That said, supporting your "local" HBS is something to consider so long as it is a realistic option. I personally don't even buy from Northern or Midwest anymore just because of the pricing. For me, pricing is huge.

Only do northern or MW if it is a sale, imo. Keeping it local can really matter. Keep the little guy open. No support from each brewer they can get in the door will result in their failure. Lose an airlock, well going to have to wait a week to order one if the lhbs closed from lack of business. I've never met anyone who ran a lhbs or any other hobby store to retire in the Bahamas. It's out of love. If they don't carry what you eant, ask.

Ritebrew is bar none my favorite online shop. I get my grains delivered to my door 24 hours from ordering, they are crazy fast. Cheapest shipping I've seen too since I live in the Midwest and use SpeeDee. Neil is always very helpful and responsive to emails and their grain prices are dirt cheap compared to other online shops. Can't say enough good things about it

I think I've ordered at least once from most of the sites mentioned, but I started off using Morebeer.com as they were actually my LHBS when I started brewing. I still use them from time to time and have always been really happy with the customer service and prices (when stuffs on sale).

Ritebrew is bar none my favorite online shop. I get my grains delivered to my door 24 hours from ordering, they are crazy fast. Cheapest shipping I've seen too since I live in the Midwest and use SpeeDee. Neil is always very helpful and responsive to emails and their grain prices are dirt cheap compared to other online shops. Can't say enough good things about it

$14 for a #55 bag of 2 row is awesome for shipping!

Back