flavor infusing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littled630

Reaction score
If i want to try different flavor infusions what rules are the basics. Does the flavor have to be in liquid form when add? When do i add the infusion of choice when doing an extract brew? Can you infuse almost any flavor? I am curious because i started with a 1 gal set up, and when i start doing 5 gals i wanna use my 1 gal set up for experimentation brews, and ill do my known good styles in my 5 gal set up. Im having a hard time finding info on infusing online so i turned to fellow brewers for tips and tricks!

I think by "infusions" you mean adding other "non-beer" flavors into your brews? If so, then this topic is widely covered on this forum, but since it is so broad, that may be why you're having trouble finding succinct answers. Here's a brief overview:

Yes, almost any flavor can be added into a brew as long as it doesn't infect the batch. Anything from fruit to wood, flowers to peanut butter have all been used. You can add these flavors anytime from sparge to bottling. For example, I have made a pumpkin ale by adding the pumpkin and spices at varying times. I've steeped pumpkin in my hot liquor tank before mashing in, I've added it to the mash, many people add it into a secondary vessel. I've added the spices during the boil, after primary fermentation has completed and on another brew I added it to my priming sugar when I bottled. This is only one type of beer, and I didn't list all the possible variations that could be used to infuse differet flavors. You can see how much flexibility you have.

The flavors do not have to be in liquid form. Then can be solid, liquid, powder, probably even gas if you could think of something that would work. You can add these flavor infusions at all points of the brewing/fermenting/conditioning phases.

I think you'll have more success in terms of finding info if you decide what flavor you want to infuse and search how to get it into your brew, or decide when you want to try to infuse a flavor, and search how to do it. Your one gallon experiments are how a lot of big breweries try test batches (look into dogfish head's beers for unusual flavor infused beers).

Thanks so basically, like i figured, just experiment. I can pretty much add whatever at any point and if it taste like ****, well then ill have to scratch that infusion. This is turning out to be my favorite thing about home brewing, the amount of varying ways to do every step of the process. Thanks for the help!

If you would like suggestions before trying, please feel free to ask. We can help avoid wasted attempts

DocScott said:
If you would like suggestions before trying, please feel free to ask. We can help avoid wasted attempts

Absolutely! There are a lot of people that have already done these things so you can find out what has and hasn't worked.

You can also go to the recipe wiki and search an ingredient to see how it's been used.

Were can i find this recipe wiki? Just out of curiosity has anyone every every tried to infuse bacon into beer lmao? I prolly wouldnt try it just a random thought i had with todays big bacon hype that seems to be starting lol!!!!

littled630 said:
Were can i find this recipe wiki? Just out of curiosity has anyone every every tried to infuse bacon into beer lmao? I prolly wouldnt try it just a random thought i had with todays big bacon hype that seems to be starting lol!!!!

I have not, but rogue brewery in Oregon has a bacon maple beer that seems pretty polarizing. Most people hate it but there are a few that love it.

Haha thats funny i guess you really can infuse practically anything you can think of!!!!

Back