wort chiller connection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doornumber3

Reaction score
so i have an immersion chiller on order and was looking at the sink where i brew. This is a newer sink with one of those new faucets that pull out to spray things down. Here's where i think i'm going to have an issue, there is no way to attach the hose since it's not like those old school faucets where you can just attach. Anyone have any suggestions?

I've seen folks in your situation use a pond pump sitting in the sink to get the tap water to the chiller. It does have the advantage of being able to add ice into the sink and pump some really cold water for when you're trying to go from 85*F down to 65*F (the rate of cooling slows down a lot as you get closer to the temp of the tap water).

I use one of these both indoors and outdoors - http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_792_792 since my chiller is built to flow a larger volume of water than most.

Are you a renter? If not, it's very easy to tap into the cold supply line.

All you have to do is turn off the water as far upstream as you can. Remove the sink's cold supply line from the sink's cold shutoff valve. Go to the home improvement store with the valve and ask somebody to help you tee off the supply line.

Put it back together with teflon tape or pipe dope and you're good to go.

Have you considered purchasing a utility sink for your brewing area expansion or using the bathroom tap?

i'm actually brewing at my friends house right now since he has a great space for it. He owns but getting ready to sell so not sure he wants to do that....but definitely an option. The ice bath isn't too bad but i think the chiller would help alot more.

I may look into that pond pump idea. Thanks guys.

Chiller is better.

I brew outside, so I connect it with a 25' garden hose to an outdoor hose bib (spigot), then another 25' hose coming off that goes to the sprinkler. Why waste the water when the grass could use it?

Immersion chillers work best when moved constantly or, better yet, wort is flowed past them. The expensive route would be a counterflow chiller or plate chiller. Both need pumps. The cheap route is to run a power drill with a helical paint stirrer while the IC does its magic. ;) And by cheap, I mean $6 for the stirrer.

You'll be happy that you did if you get or make a chiller.

With my DIY chiller (1/2" ID for high flow), I stir with a sanitized plastic spoon in the opposite direction of the chiller flow. Just using our 60*F (TX winter temp) hose water right now, it'll take 6 gallons from boiling to 66*F in about 17-18 minutes.

I very much like having the garden hose connections on mine.

kettleandchiller_zpsa390aece.jpg

Are you a renter? If not, it's very easy to tap into the cold supply line.

All you have to do is turn off the water as far upstream as you can. Remove the sink's cold supply line from the sink's cold shutoff valve. Go to the home improvement store with the valve and ask somebody to help you tee off the supply line.

Put it back together with teflon tape or pipe dope and you're good to go.

This. Put a tee in the 1/2" rigid copper under the sink. Add a ball valve, and a quick disconnect (garden hose type is fine). Not only will you get nice, cold water in your kitchen, but you can chill a lot faster because the flow rate in the 1/2" rigid pipe is a LOT faster than from the soft 3/8" soft pipe (let alone a faucet attached to it).

Even if you're renting, a neat job under the sink should be okay with most landlords. It's not going to hurt the value of the place, and no potential future tenant is going to turn the place down just because, "oh... there's a hose connector under the kitchen sink".

Back