group brewday question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zurcj20

Reaction score
When you go to a group brewday do you pitch your yeast before you leave or when you get home? Also, do you worry about the beer splashing around on the way home?

I've seen it done both ways, pitched before travel and after arriving home. As for the splashing around, it's needs oxygenated anyway right? We just usually put a zip lock bag over the spout so no nasties can get in the carboy and then it gets properly taken care of at home.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but rather than start a new one I thought Id ask the question here. Sunday I will be attending my first group brew day away from my home. My question was on yeast. If i pitch at the brew day what are people doing to keep the yeast chilled until an appropriate time to warm it upfor pitching?

Same question if I wait to pitch at home. My starter will be in the fridge at home. by the time brew day is done and i get home it will be like 7 hours after I left so im sure leaving the starter out at room temp isn't an option?

Do you have a small cooler? You'd just need to keep it cool for a while during the brew day right? That'd probably be sufficient for that period of time, just pull it out in plenty of time to warm up before you pitch it.
I think I'd take it with me and pitch it there.

Hey if you've got a cooler mash tun just transport it in that, take it out while you're preheating (if you do that) your m/t. That should workout for the timing maybe?

Back