Dixie Cup XXV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexLaw

Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Despite Ike's best efforts, Dixie Cup XXV is still on! It'll take a lot more than a storm to stop the Foam Rangers! Please check out the Dixie Cup website for more details and deadlines.

Due to shipping weirdness to Houston area, we are waiving the late entry deadline for all entries. We also will be somewhat flexible about receiving entries after the final deadline, within reason and where it seems like it was a shipping hold-up. I do see UPS and FedEx trucks getting around, again, and I know that DeFalco's (our main entry reception point) is back open today, so you should expect that your entries will not sit in a hot warehouse.

Thank you for all your support!

TL
Head Judge, Dixie Cup XXV

For those who did not make it to NHC in Cincinnati, the Dixie Cup is the closest thing to it from my experience. It's a scaled down version of it with beer judging going on, speakers, and of course Fred Ekhardt, one of the grandfathers of the homebrewing movement. This year, in addition to Fred, is Dale Katechis, the owner of Oskar Blues Brewery and Dave Fougeron, the founder and president of Southern Star Brewing.

It's a great time with loads of beer and lots of beer knurds. :D

Thanks to everyone who entered and judged! The time is now upon us! Dixie Cup is here!

If you would like to come out and judge, you are more than welcome. We resume first-round judging at noon on Friday at the hotel, and we hope to complete it that day (knock on wood). If you are not an experienced judge, we can set you up with someone that is.

If you want to show up, have some excellent homebrew and commercial beers, and meet up with a bunch of beer geeks, just come on out!

Also, Fred Eckhardt has made it clear that this is his last year to come down and conduct the famous Fred Tasting. He also will be one of Saturday morning speakers, presenting a retrospective on his 20 years attending the Dixie Cup. If you want to meet a great guy who has been writing about and standing up for beer for . . . ever, this is a perfect chance. See y'all!

TL

A friend and I are heading to Houston tomorrow for the Dixie Cup. :rockin:

Neither one of us have been to a homebrew competition before so we don't really know what to expect. We're just excited to be able go and hangout with other beer nerds for the weekend.

So I'll see you guys there. :tank: :mug:

Webcam? Some sort of simulcast? Throw us a bone here!

Chad

Pardon me, stewardess, I speak jive:
What I'm getting at is that the Dixie Cup looks to be a great event. Will there be any sort of web-based reporting that those who cannot attend may turn to for information, insights and updates?

Well, last year, Travis Poling came in from the San Antonio Express-News and did some live blogging. You can read it HERE. I hope he's coming back this year, as he was a great guy.

I can't believe it, but we haven't even talked about something like you're talking about, Chad. That could be fun, and we certainly have the technogeeks around to pull it off. I'll bring it up! If something happens this year, I'll be sure to post about it. I doubt we can get a webcam or anything like that set up, but there might be some more blogging. Just excuse the typos! :D

TL

Thanks to the forum members that came out to have some fun and judge a little at this year's Dixie Cup! We had a fantastic time!

I didn't realize it at the time, but we did have a blogger on-site. Well, he didn't put much down, but there is THIS. Yes, that's me showing what surely will be on the Milan runways soon. My parents couldn't be more proud.

TL

No, that's Sean. I'm Doak.

Don't push the issue of what Sean wears, too. A couple years ago, he came down to the barleywine tasting wearing nothing but a towel, and it wasn't a very big towel. As long as he's wearing pants, we couldn't care less what color his shoelaces are!

TL

Latest posts

Back