Africa, Has there ever been a good one?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chairman Cheyco

***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Work is taking me to Tanzania in a month or so. I've never heard anyhing good about african beer. This fact has me worried. Does anyone know of something to look for while I'm there other than imports? I'll also be travelling through Paris, so any help there would also be appreciated (other than Kronenburgh, or whatever the hell that **** is...)

I had a beer from Moroco, it was called Casablanca Lager Beer. It was very good from what I remember. I light colored lager with rather mild carbonation, I think there were some mild hints of pear? in the beer. It was very refreshing, I'd definately drink it again. If you can find it, pick up a 6er.

Stay away from the Egyptian Stella. It tastes like Budweiser.

I have had some of the Tusker products by East Africa Breweries. I don't remember which ones, it's been so long. These beers were okay, fairly light in taste and low in ABV, but drinkable.

As far as them Frenchy beers. If you enjoy Belgian style I would recommend almost any of the French Country Style Ales. These brews tend to blur the line between France and Belgium.

A few really good ones that come to mind:

St. Amands
Trois Monts:drunk:
Jenlain
Grain D'orge (which is readily available just about anywhere in Paris.

I can recommend Rick Steve's book on Paris. It's a really good resource for the city of light. :)

Chairman Cheyco said:
Work is taking me to Tanzania in a month or so. I've never heard anyhing good about african beer. This fact has me worried. Does anyone know of something to look for while I'm there other than imports? I'll also be travelling through Paris, so any help there would also be appreciated (other than Kronenburgh, or whatever the hell that **** is...)
Just try the local beers when you get there - they certainly won't be as expensive as Kronenbourg in Paris and maybe you'll find one that's better!

Failing that go proper African and try Palm Wine. The perfect accompaniment to Manioc apparently......;)

When in Paris try a "Fischer" - the BIGGER bottle. (Incidently, the "sch" in "Fischer" indicates it's of German origin....)

I can't tell you anything about African beer (I couldn't get my wife to go there when we lived in Germany...that's another story), but I would guess that if you tried the local stuff it would not look or taste like anything you're used to.

When I went to Korea the last time I had a sweet rice beer (tasted like a sweet sake with rice floating in it...) called "Dongdongju" (gotta get the recipe...) that tasted pretty good even though (if you looked at it) I (could have) thought that I was drinking some kind of cold beef broth and rice soup. I drank a serving (a crockpot full) by myself...my driver/translator wouldn't touch it...he asked (several times) if I felt alright, but I swear I couldn't taste any alcohol...he was surprised when I got up and walked away without any staggering. I didn't see what the big deal was, but I was thinking about how I could change it more to my liking if you know what I mean...:D :drunk:

Best of all, ENJOY, Brother! (...and take good notes...):D

glibbidy said:
Stay away from the Egyptian Stella. It tastes like Budweiser.

Gawd, that beer sucks. The lady at the liquor store told me it was "better than sex." It was horrible. She must have had some lousy sex in her life. Too bad, she was hot!:D

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
Gawd, that beer sucks. The lady at the liquor store told me it was "better than sex." It was horrible. She must have had some lousy sex in her life. Too bad, she was hot!:D
Maybe you should have given her a little Muad'ib special lovin'. Even if you still sucked, you may have been the best.;)

My folks brought me some beer back from Tanzania last year. I had Kilimanjaro, Safari, Serengheti, and Ndovu. No that's not a typo, it's Ndovu. All of them were "lager" and were not spectacular, although they weren't bad either. Looking at the labels, three of the four are from the same parent company, and made in the major city of Dar al Salaam. My guess is that it's the Milwaukee of Tanzania.

Back