Home brew cider kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike77

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am very new to home brewing I started a cider kit called John bull I followed the instructions for a 40 pint batch. After 8 days isaw no sign of fermentation so I took a hydrometer reading it was at 1.000 the next day I took another reading it was the same so I bottled the cider and used carbonation drops. I set the 40 pints in my back room. I got called to work away from home for 6 days it got colder here and when I got back at weeks end the back room was about 10-12 celcius. I brought the cider into the war to try and get the secondary fermentation going. After a week I put it back in the cool. It's now been 3 weeks since bottled. I tried one tonight and as soon as the top was twisted off I could smell yeast. I tried it anyway and it tasted of yeast ( go figure) is the cider ruined any suggestions are welcomed please help.

I bet if you post this in the cider forums, you will get more responses. I have just started making ciders. 1st two batches, young (but finished) ciders have a yeasty taste but its not unpleasant overtly strong (wheat beer like yeasty). Seems the yeasty flavor fades with further aging.

Started to look to make super clear ciders. In last batch (#4) I cold crash before racking, adding pectic enzyme, and supreclear (cant remember name) fining agent. This cider is super clear with no noticeable yeast flavor. Thoughts: What yeast did you use? Did your cider carbonate? Is it over or under carbonated? Lots of bottle sediment? Try a bottle with little or no sediment.

You bottled after 9 days? I don't think I have tried any of mine earlier than three months. Usually longer. I have a couple of ciders still in the fermenter after a year. I think it is just young. Give it more time.

Back