American IPA Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still very new to brewing so forgive me if this is a stupid question! I would like to do a 4 gallon boil as I have a 6 gallon pot but does this mean I will have to adjust the recipe?

I'm still very new to brewing so forgive me if this is a stupid question! I would like to do a 4 gallon boil as I have a 6 gallon pot but does this mean I will have to adjust the recipe?

Do you have a big enough fermenter for 5 gallons plus headspace? If so just follow the recipe, boil 4 gallons and add enough top up water to get to 5 gallons when you transfer to your fermenter.

By the way, there's no such thing as a stupid question!

Fordzilla said:
Do you have a big enough fermenter for 5 gallons plus headspace? If so just follow the recipe, boil 4 gallons and add enough top up water to get to 5 gallons when you transfer to your fermenter.

By the way, there's no such thing as a stupid question!

I have a 6 gallon carboy. I was just under the impression that if you changed the starting water amount you had to change the recipe due to a different concentration of wort?

I have a 6 gallon carboy. I was just under the impression that if you changed the starting water amount you had to change the recipe due to a different concentration of wort?

No recipe change as long as you intend to reach the target final volume. You can achieve the target final volume by
1) doing a full volume boil or
2) doing a partial boil and adding top off water.

No recipe change as long as you intend to reach the target final volume. You can achieve the target final volume by
1) doing a full volume boil or
2) doing a partial boil and adding top off water.

Got it! I ended up brewing this yesterday. When I got back from work this evening I noticed the stick on thermometer was reading 72F and, from what I have read, that is way to warm for US-05 so I've put the carboy into my brew kettle (the only thing big enough to hold it) and filled it with ice and water.

I went to get all the necessities for this and my how brew store did not have Thomas faucet. They gave me melanoiden instead however I am not sure the color will be right now because its coming out at 4.7. Will this be a noticeable difference in color/ taste?

I went to get all the necessities for this and my how brew store did not have Thomas faucet. They gave me melanoiden instead however I am not sure the color will be right now because its coming out at 4.7. Will this be a noticeable difference in color/ taste?

It's different, but it won't be bad at all. It's just a different malt. Melanoidin malt is aromatic malt- it provides a malty flavor and aroma to beer.

SERIOUSLY. There's been at least three hundred posts on this. If you want to brew a clone, get Thomas Fawcett Amber. It's key, it's responsible for all the malt flavor. You can order it cheap online along with other stuff you need, I think Farmhouse ships stuff under a pound for a couple bucks.

If you aren't concerned with making a clone, then start a different thread.

It's as simple as that. Aromatic is nice but doesn't belong in this beer, unless your Surly and they use it in everything haha

It's like replacing Munich with Maris Otter, or Special B for Crystal 120 L. Sure, they are similar, but it's not gonna make the same beer

http://stores.mdhb.com/-strse-1690/AMBER-MALT-THOMAS-FAWCETT/Detail.bok

Great folks! I usually purchase in person, but the one online order I did place, shipped the same day. Grains come milled unless requested otherwise.

Too bad shipping is $100.

I tried to order 4 lbs of the Thomas Fawcett Amber. It said shipping to Canada would be $100. When I tried to check out to see if it would give me a more accurate shipping quote, it wouldn't let me, and said the minimum order is $10.

Anyone know of a Canadian source for the Thomas Fawcett Amber malt? Or even a US supplier with REASONABLE shipping costs to Canada? I'm having a heck of a time finding it.

bellmtbbq said:
There's been at least three hundred posts on this. If you want to brew a clone, get Thomas Fawcett Amber. It's key, it's responsible for all the malt flavor. You can order it cheap online along with other stuff you need, I think Farmhouse ships stuff under a pound for a couple bucks.

I just checked Farmhouse and they're quoting $24 shipping (to Canada) for $6 worth of grains. Any other suggestions? Why is this stuff so hard to get?

bellmtbbq said:
SERIOUSLY. There's been at least three hundred posts on this. If you want to brew a clone, get Thomas Fawcett Amber. It's key, it's responsible for all the malt flavor. You can order it cheap online along with other stuff you need, I think Farmhouse ships stuff under a pound for a couple bucks.

If you aren't concerned with making a clone, then start a different thread.

It's as simple as that. Aromatic is nice but doesn't belong in this beer, unless your Surly and they use it in everything haha

It's like replacing Munich with Maris Otter, or Special B for Crystal 120 L. Sure, they are similar, but it's not gonna make the same beer

CLEARLY there have three hundred posts on using melanoiden. I consider myself to be somewhat knowledgeable, however not on specific grains. I was just wondering how much different it would turn out, as I was relying on the home brew store owners advice. It's nice that Yooper does not have your high and mighty attitude and she started the thread. I had every intention to make a clone, but apparently it was not worth it to me to order 1 lb or less online. By the way thank you Yooper for your response.

Jwash1705 said:
CLEARLY there have three hundred posts on using melanoiden. I consider myself to be somewhat knowledgeable, however not on specific grains. I was just wondering how much different it would turn out, as I was relying on the home brew store owners advice. It's nice that Yooper does not have your high and mighty attitude and she started the thread. I had every intention to make a clone, but apparently it was not worth it to me to order 1 lb or less online. By the way thank you Yooper for your response.

Jwash, I wasn't being high and mighty. I didn't even address your post, I've just noticed that 50% of the posts are about substitutes for TF Amber. If you really want to make a clone, go the extra distance and order the pound of grain. Hell, I use it in all my bitters and English beers, 5 or 10 pounds wouldn't hurt..

If you want to use aromatic, great, but then it's not a Dogfish clone

It's not your fault, it's your LHBS's fault. They are similar lovibond but an entirely different beast. Aromatic simulates a decoction, Amber has a raisin-y, apricot-y finish.

It's not expensive to ship a few pounds of grain and you'll have plenty for several batches

There may be several ways to get to the same, or at least a respectably similar endpoint. If you don't think the Amber malt is worth the price or trouble, use resources on this board and your knowledge about brewing to come up with a substitute. Try toasting some MO, maybe ferment warmer or use a yeast that produces more esters to get that hint of peach or apricot. You could spend $30 to get a couple pounds of Amber malt or spend $30 to get the ingredients for a 5 gallon batch that may or may not be a clone, but you'll still likely have 5 gallons of great beer.

Anyway, made this tonight. Slight variation, OG was 1.061 trying to get it right at 6%. Used S04 and mashed at 150 since attenuation isn't what 05 is. Did 1oz of Warrior as a FWH because I didn't feel like hopping every five minutes. Did the Simcoe/Amarillo blend from 35 minutes in every 5 till flame out. And yes, TF Amber. Got it from Farmhouse along with a bunch of 4oz hop packs because it makes sense with shipping!

sivdrinks said:
Anyway, made this tonight. Slight variation, OG was 1.061 trying to get it right at 6%. Used S04 and mashed at 150 since attenuation isn't what 05 is. Did 1oz of Warrior as a FWH because I didn't feel like hopping every five minutes. Did the Simcoe/Amarillo blend from 35 minutes in every 5 till flame out. And yes, TF Amber. Got it from Farmhouse along with a bunch of 4oz hop packs because it makes sense with shipping!

After looking at all the beers I've made with S04 I'm mildly concerned now. My attenuation is pretty poor, doubting I'll hit 6% (need 1.015 FG). Anyone know what temperature attenuation is based off of for yeasts in general? Was hoping going closer to 150 would ferment out a bit more.

After looking at all the beers I've made with S04 I'm mildly concerned now. My attenuation is pretty poor, doubting I'll hit 6% (need 1.015 FG). Anyone know what temperature attenuation is based off of for yeasts in general? Was hoping going closer to 150 would ferment out a bit more.

Never been a fan of 04 (whole nother thread,not looking to start a debate), it just doesn't give the crisp clean dry profile this beer needs. I'm sure it will be good, but I'm not sure there is anything you could do at this point to get it much lower. Harvested Pacman, 05, wpl0001, or harvested Bell's(that's what I used) would probably be better choices in the future. I think they use the middle of the listed range as a guideine for attenuation.

whitehause said:
Never been a fan of 04 (whole nother thread,not looking to start a debate), it just doesn't give the crisp clean dry profile this beer needs. I'm sure it will be good, but I'm not sure there is anything you could do at this point to get it much lower. Harvested Pacman, 05, wpl0001, or harvested Bell's(that's what I used) would probably be better choices in the future. I think they use the middle of the listed range as a guideine for attenuation.

Not sure really why I decided on S04. I had a pack, figured its closer to their yeast than S05 and wanted to see if mash temp would get me better attenuation. I'm gonna keep it in the low to mid 60s so that shouldn't be an issue with how clean it tastes. I guess I could throw in a pack of S05 or Notty to help finish it or maybe 4-8oz of sugar slurry. Or it could just be a learning experience and a lower ABV beer that still tastes great.

Maybe keep it cool those first couple days to keep it clean, then ramp it up to 70 or so to help it finish a little lower, give the yeast a little rousing shake now and then - shouldn't get any "non-clean" flavors from those last couple gravity points

I tried to order 4 lbs of the Thomas Fawcett Amber. It said shipping to Canada would be $100. When I tried to check out to see if it would give me a more accurate shipping quote, it wouldn't let me, and said the minimum order is $10.

Anyone know of a Canadian source for the Thomas Fawcett Amber malt? Or even a US supplier with REASONABLE shipping costs to Canada? I'm having a heck of a time finding it.

I just checked Farmhouse and they're quoting $24 shipping (to Canada) for $6 worth of grains. Any other suggestions? Why is this stuff so hard to get?

You tried shipping to Ogdensburg? I go there once a month to pick up stuff I've ordered off Amazon and other places. $25 to ship to Canada vs. free US shipping, I save tons. :)

You tried shipping to Ogdensburg? I go there once a month to pick up stuff I've ordered off Amazon and other places. $25 to ship to Canada vs. free US shipping, I save tons. :)

I've done it in the past with some other stuff, but it seems like a huge pain to drive an hour each way for 4 pounds of malt. But if you're planning on making a trip in the next month or so and wouldn't mind muling back to Ottawa, there could be a 6-pack in it for you. :)

I brew in ottawa/ kingston and source hard to get things off canadianhomebrewsupply.com. They have amber malt (just not Thomas fawcett).

Hey, I'm in Ottawa too and had the same issue. Another HBT member from Ottawa frequently travels to Ogdensburg to pick up parcels, and has generously offered to include 5 lbs of Thomas Fawcett Amber malt for me in his next order from Farmhouse Brewing Supply. Are you a member of the Members of Barleyment? Maybe send an email to their mailing list and see if anyone wants to arrange a group buy and split the gas costs for a trip to Ogdensburg to pick it up.

I brewed this last Sunday with US05 and by Tuesday it was at 70F so I used the swamp cooler method of cooling. I got it down to 62 and I've seen no airlock activity since. Today I checked on it and the krausen has already fallen. I'm worried I chilled it too much. Any advice?

Dude, just order from homebrew supplies from ontario (google) shipping is lot less than $24. More like $15 shipped for couple pounds and no duties.

So my S04 batch made it down to 1.015 from 1.061 so I'm happy, nailed 6%. Time will tell on flavor though, fermented around 66.

They have Cara Amber & Dark Kin Amber. I don't really know the difference between these and Thomas Fawcett. I can't get Amarillo hops, so will be subbing for Centennial anyway ... I've noted their shipping is flat rate, so about $15 for a wyeast smack pack, but the same if you add 5 lbs of grain and other odds and ends. So every few months I get a bunch of stuff I'll need for a few brews.

shortrc said:
I brewed this last Sunday with US05 and by Tuesday it was at 70F so I used the swamp cooler method of cooling. I got it down to 62 and I've seen no airlock activity since. Today I checked on it and the krausen has already fallen. I'm worried I chilled it too much. Any advice?

Bump

Yooper said:
If you added the yeast on Sunday, by Tuesday the beer was pretty much done. That's why you're not seeing activity.

Is it normal for the Krausen to fall this fast too?

whitehause said:
;)

Yep....not uncommon at all. Like yooper said, it was probably done, so it's done.

Great. Thanks for the advice guys. I will now be able to sleep at night!

Thanks for the recipe Yooper. DFH 60 is one of my long time favorites. I brewed this up this morning and it is happily fermenting away. I can't wait until its done. I got really lucky at the LHBS as they had all of the hops, the Thomas Faucett Amber and they just changed their house 2 Row to a local company out of S. Hadley, MA.

Thanks for the recipe Yooper. DFH 60 is one of my long time favorites. I brewed this up this morning and it is happily fermenting away. I can't wait until its done. I got really lucky at the LHBS as they had all of the hops, the Thomas Faucett Amber and they just changed their house 2 Row to a local company out of S. Hadley, MA.

I'm brewing this tomorrow. I have to make one small sub- I only had 6 ounces of amber malt, and I'm making a 10 gallon batch so I added 6 ounces of victory malt. Also, I have only enough WLP001 ready for 5 gallons, so I'm using Wyeast 1450, Denny's Favorite, in the other 5 gallons. It was either that or S05 or Wyeast 1335. I decided to try the Denny's.

Awesome! I'd love to hear how the Dennys Favorite batch turns out. Always wanted to do a batch with that yeast. I've heard some very good things about it.

FWIW, I couldn't find Thomas Fawcett AM either, instead, went with Crisp and 3-4oz. Of Crystal 40 for some sweetness and gold color. My beer came Very close to the original.

Back