No activity after 48 hours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muddylars

Reaction score
I started my second batch of cider the other day. I added two cups of brown sugar and boiled a gallon of it with a few spices (cinnamon, cloves and all spice) before adding the other three cold gallons. I let it sit for 24 hours with campden, hydrated the yeast added it and now 48 hours later from adding the yeast there seems to be no activity in the air lock. I read another thread with this subject, as the other suggested I checked the seal of the fermenting bucket and the air lock. Both look good and if I hardly squeeze the bucket I can see the air lock move. I guess my question is... What should I do now? I do have a glass carboy, I was going to save that for the secondary fermenter. Thanks a lot
-Lars

I actually also have a another question, I realized I actually wanted to add more sugar, is it too late to add more. If not how should I do it?

If you are using a store bought Apple cider to start this, check your label. If the cider contained any potassium sorbate your yeast is dead, and the batch is shot.

I bought the cider at a local orchard, there's no potassium sorbate listed on the label.

As far as the sugar goes... I would add that as soon as you have some kind of fermentation going (just incase you have to pour your batch).

First, you might want to check the specs on your yeast, it might take them a while to get going.

Furthermore, if -by the time you read this- there is no fermentation going I would give it a really good shake for a few minutes, just to put some more air in there. That usually get things churning.

If you still have no activity in a day or two, I would try re-pitching with some more yeast.

Hope that helps...

The following information would be helpful:

Temperature you are fermenting at
Yeast Strain
Was the cider pasteurized?

They say you should wait longer than 24 hours when using Campden. I have added yeast in as early as 24 hrs later, but now I wait about 36 to 48 hrs. I am not sure if this is the issue. Keep in mind with Cider, you may not see the activity like you would when you ferment wort. Although when adding Yeast, the ferment can indeed be vigorous. Look closely for tiny bubbles in there just to see if *anything* is taking place.

Thanks for all the tips. I checked it again this morning and it looks like I was too impacient. The air lock is starting to bubble about once every two minutes. I think I'll try to add some more brown sugar this today.

Latest posts

Back