Camlock - type C

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregKelley

Reaction score
I've decided to go with camlocks. I'm getting the Type A to connect to my valves and pump. I am looking to use Type C for connection to my 1/2" hoses. However, I have been reading that they might be restrictive as the hole is just under 3/8".

I do 5 gallon batches. Right now my plan is to use these camlocks for my recirculating immersion chiller.

Has anyone had slow flow rates with these Type C camlocks or other problems with them?

Big C you say? Sorry, I know it's tease since the website is still down but it's worth the wait, I promise.
cambarbsizes.jpg

I did see the Big C on Bobby's site. My question is more of is the flow that much slower with the standard C especially with just a 5 gallon batch? I'm just trying to weigh the cost vs performance.

Thanks, guys.

It's more an issue given the use of a pump. Having two restrictive type C's on the flow path of a pump inlet line is enough (in my opinion and experience) to cause more pump cavitation than if you have full flow components all the way through. IMHO, the cost difference between regular C and big C (over the long run of system use) is practically zero.

Thanks Bobby. I will have to compare the prices tonight when I have more time. For what it is worth, I will be putting a valve on the outlet to my chugger pump to control the speed of the flow (as was recommended to me).

I have the stock C from Bargainfittings.com. Honestly they were the first that I'd ever used. They work fine, but as I've never used anything else I can't say if they're better or worse than anything else. 2 of my hoses have these on both ends and are only used during the wort cooling process and 4 of my hoses only have these on one end and a ball valve with a threaded camlock on the other end.

Bobby - does your 1/2" ID silicone tubing fit over the big C even though the big C has an OD of 5/8"? I'm assuming it stretches?

Yes, I have this in the text on the website as well. Hundreds of users have already stretched silicone tubing over the threads of 1/2" NPT which is over 3/4" OD. Over the meager 5/8" OD, it slips on like a snug glove.

Cheers,

This might sound like a dumb question, but in your experience, do all your female 1/2'' camlocks (Type B, C, etc.) have two arms? Or have you found camlocks with only 1 arm?

A company from here sent me 1-arm camlocks and I was really surprised about this. I don't like them, so I am getting them refunded.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back