it might be a little weak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ster

Reaction score
I pitched yeast too hot: 90F. Fermentation only caused bubbling for 12 hours. Never took an OG. Day 4: 1.027. Day 6: 1.027. My plan is to simply let it sit for another week and keg/bottle, unless there is anything I can do to get the SG lower without killing flavor.

I don't know. Porter. Joy of HB book says 1.04 to 1.06

Ok, I am guessing the yeast you used was either bad or just not enough. You can pitch at 90 degrees, its not recommended, but it takes temps in the 140s to kill yeast.
Do you know the brand of yeast and what temp you are fermenting at.

One of 3 options, if you have a secondary fermenter, transfer it, the sloshing of the wort will generally aerate and stir the yeast up back into fermentation. Or you can bottle now, enjoy your beer in a few weeks and say lesson learned. Or you can let it sit for another 5-6 days then check it.

what temp has it been fermenting at? If it is to cold say in the 50's or below fermetation will be slow or will stop with an ale yeast.

I forget, something like musons dry yeast. Its been at room temp here in Fla which is about 78F.

Oh it was muntons, probably just old yeast, I'm guessing it came in a kit. You gotta watch that stuff. Where are you at in Florida. I'm in Jacksonville. So yeah really you have the options I described earlier.

Melbourne. Not far. We go to St Augustine often. I am going to let it sit another week, then keg 2 mini kegs and bottle the rest. Live and learn. The flat beer tastes great. So it will be a little weak. Live and learn. Liquid yeast next time.

Same thing happened to me on my first kit, I pitched (don't recall the yeast that came with the kit) at about 90 degrees because it was getting late and had no activity for four days at about 70 degrees.

I had a pack of SF-05 for my next planned batch so threw that in, it was going good within 12 hours and bubbled right along for a week before subsiding.

I thought maybe it was too warm when I put the first pack in but I'm leaning towards it just not being good, maybe too old or stored improperly at some point.

Yeah St. Auggie is nice, I absolutely love safale us-05 and danstar Nottingham, muntons that gets packed with those kits has a tendency to be improperly handled and stored, thus poor performance. Anyways good luck in the future and let us know how it comes out.

Lance, are you recommending I repitch some liquid yeast? Any negative results with that?

Ster said:
Lance, are you recommending I repitch some liquid yeast? Any negative results with that?

I'm sorry, I meant US-05 dry yeast. I just repitched and gave the bucket a good shaking. It was my first batch so I'm not sure if it had a negative effect or not, got it fermenting though. It tasted ok to me and I likely won't make that kit again so won't be able to make any kind of comparison.

Shaking can cause some off flavors. I am considering a repitch and a couple gentle stirs with a sanitized spoon.

One of the methods I use for aeration is to leave the bucket flat on the floor, and gently wiggle the bucket whilst keeping it flat on the floor, similar to agitating a washing machine. It will get some movement in your fermenter and will prevent any major oxidation or contamination. Just go it gently and the wort will kind of swirl back and forth. Do this with the lid on.

Latest posts

Back