WLP 320 Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
I made my friend a honey wheat recipe, bought the ingredients, and gave him some of my harvested WLP 320 Amercian Hefeweizen yeast to get him started with something other the Mr Beer.

He made it and used his spare bath tub as his water tub. He told me that he ended up dropping the temp very low (high 50's I guess) and despite allowing it to warm up into the low 70's it hasn't begun bubbling again.

The ideal temp goes up to 69* according to White Labs so I e-mailed them and asked how warm he can get it without creating off flavors and fusel alcohol. She responded not to allow it to get above 69*. I find it hard to believe it can't get warmer than that.

Anybody have experience with warm temps and this yeast?

He works very long hours and often doesn't get a day off as he's a restaurant manager.

What ale yeasts are there, other than Belgian types, that can get into the 70's without any real problems? He's allowed his Mr Beer to go at room temp without any temp control and hasn't complained about fusel alcohol.

You can let it go above 70, you just probably won't like the result. I use 320, but keep it between 62-64 in a fermentation chamber (keezer). I'm not saying it won't be drinkable, just that you may get off flavors you aren't wanting.

Offhand I can't think of a wheat yeast that does well above 70, unless your specifically trying to get more banana/clove character. If you just want a clean beer, throw some US-05 or Nottingham in.
You may have to sanitize a long handled spoon and rouse the yeast (320) but be careful, and you may wake it up by getting it in suspension.

"You may have to sanitize a long handled spoon and rouse the yeast (320) but be careful, and you may wake it up by getting it in suspension."

I'll find out later if he's had better results, and if not to try this. Thanks!

I would rather he leave the yeast as 320 so he can harvest it for future use, though I'm not certain if this may have stressed them...

I don't know what he'd think of that.

I'd prefer he kept it under optimal conditions so he can save it for future use. What would a day of warm temps do to the yeast as far as saving it?

I'll be finding out within a couple of hours how it's been doing and under what conditions.

Back