Chocolate Peanut Butter stout.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caioz1jp

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just brewed a stout that i plan on adding powdered peanut butter to. I was just wondering what experience peolle have had with this as i am unsure if salted or unsalted will make a difference.

I have never brewed such a thing but damn it sounds reeeeeal good ! :)

The recipe is called chocolate covered beavr nuts. The recipe is from a homebrew association in california but i thought this would be a great halloween/ holiday brew. Its a chocolate stout with powdered peanut butter added in the secondary along with optoinal cocoa powder and cocoa nibs. Ill post the grain bill later after work in the recile section.

I had a Peanut Butter beer (looked like a brown ale) at the Great American Beer Fest last weekend and it was awesome. From a brewery in PA - sorry forget the name. The brewer said he added the peanut butter powder during the boil.

Francis, was it Big Gruesome by Spring House? They are one of my local favorites, and have a bunch of different wild beers. They do a Lil Gruesome (Pb & J) also.

I am headed there tonight actually.

Yeah that might be it! I know I grabbed a business card from the brewmaster so if I find it I'll let you know. It's like piecing together a crime scene after a night of beerfest. He was a super nice guy and offered to send me the recipe, so I'll keep you guys posted. I'd like to hear how this chocolate peanut butter stout turns out too!

Have a couple Gruesome's for me!

I am thinking it was, i know they were out there. Good guys, and even better beer. If it is, small world, and glad they are getting out there and more people are trying their brews. If you get the recipe, pm it to me, love the beer and would have a good time trying to brew it. It's great on Nitro!

Honestly I've never even heard of powdered peanut butter, but definitely go unsalted. And this sounds really good. What did you do for the chocolate?

Yeah that might be it! I know I grabbed a business card from the brewmaster so if I find it I'll let you know. It's like piecing together a crime scene after a night of beerfest. He was a super nice guy and offered to send me the recipe, so I'll keep you guys posted. I'd like to hear how this chocolate peanut butter stout turns out too!

Have a couple Gruesome's for me!

I'd like the recipe too! I've emailed them before asking for recipe help, but didn't get much of a response.

I am very interested to hear more about this. May have to try my hand at a new concoction. Posted this to Reddit to see if anyone there has any input.

There have been plenty of tries at this, however not much success it seems. Search the forums, you'll find a ton of info. I think that the salt may actually help it out a bit. Much like in cooking, it should help accentuate the flavors a bit more and give you the profile you're going for.

i made a chocolate peanut butter stout on Oct. 5th. Primary 2 weeks, racked tp secondary.
OG was 1.050, checked today nov 7, 1.025. wondering if it will come down at all.
Plan on bottling this weekend, hopefully no bombs

I made the BEAVR Nuts kit and it is conditioning currently. Here is my experience. The peanut butter only yields a little aroma followed by with my tester samples have a very mild/minor aftertaste. I was hoping for a more prevalent flavor, but it is still not bad. I may try this again, but want to figure out how to get more PB flavor.

Anyone thought about adding actual peanuts to the recipe? I know there are other beers that use pecans, cashews, and other nuts to get the flavor. There's actually a great article in one of the recent issues of either Zymurgy or BYO, I can't remember which.

The issue with actual peanuts is the oil I believe, so that's why most people use powdered.

Anyone thought about adding actual peanuts to the recipe? I know there are other beers that use pecans, cashews, and other nuts to get the flavor. There's actually a great article in one of the recent issues of either Zymurgy or BYO, I can't remember which.

Here's the article:

http://***********/stories/issue/article/issues/296-october-2012/2611-brewing-gone-nuts

It addresses the oil issue.

Just curious if anyone has tried the Chocolate PB2 with the chocolate covered beavr nutz recipe? I ordered the plain and plan to brew this weekend.

Again to everyone saying the peanut butter is mild. You really need to give this beer a good 3-4 months. Everything is overpowered at first by the roastyness and cocoa.

I do plan on brewing this with the chocolate pb2 next year just to see how it comes out. Ill deffinatly cut out the cocoa oowder though.

Bottle for about a week now

ForumRunner_20121116_173647.jpg

I made the chocolate covered beaver nuts recipe 7 or 8 months ago....everyone loved it, but it took about 4 months for the roasted nutty taste to come through. In fact, I just bought some more PB2 today for a sweet stout recipe. Added the PB2 in the secondary and racked the beer on top of it. It was a little difficult to syphon into the keg when I got close to the bottom of the carboy.

I made a chocolate peanut butter porter two months ago. It really didnt have much PB at first but after two months you can taste it pretty well. It really shows through in the aftertaste. Kinda of a dark chocolate PB cup. I used a robust porter base with 8 oz honey, 8 oz powdered PB and 3 heaping tablespoons of cocoa powder in the last 10 minutes of the boil. Good enough I will do it again (next week) but I will use 12 oz of PB this time. You do get a little oil at the top of the bottle, but is mixes in during the pour.

Yo! I brewed this recipe today based off a really good peanut butter beer I had at the great american beer fest - the guy that brewed it was cool enough to give me some pointers. Wasn't a stout or porter which seems typical of PB beers - it was fn good though. He told me to do base malt with some C-30, 1oz Fuggle each @ 60 and 30, peanut butter powder at the beginning of the boil added slowly to disolve and dry english yeast - his beer was 11srm, 26ibu's and 6.5%. I made mine a little darker and plan on adding 4oz of cocoa nibs to secondary.

I did:
9.5lbs - 2row
1lb - crystal 30L
.5 - chocolate malt
.5 - Special roast

1oz - fuggle @60
1oz - fuggle @30

13oz - PB2 peanut butter powder added slowly at the beginnning of boil until disolved then I started my hop schedule.
S-04 yeast

4oz cocoa nibs will be added in secondary.

Brew day went smoothly and the first sample taste was great. Will let you guys know how it turns out!

Cant wait to hear your results. My next attempt i plan on brewing this by adding the PB2 at flame out. I dont want to boil the pb because i dont want any extra bitter. Ill probably do one jar at flame out then the full 13 at secondary

i bottled mine 2 weeks ago. Tasted one, not a whole lot of peanut butter taste, though you can see it in the glass. Thinking may have to sit a while.

I think im a little late to the party, but i just finished carbing up my Chocolate Peanut butter Porter. I used a standard porter base and a bar of semi sweet, a bunch of Cocoa powder and some PB2 in the boil. I racked it onto more cocoa and PB2. Used Witbread yeast. 1 lb of PB2 total, most in secondary.

Its delicious but i wish it had a bit more peanut butter flavor. Next time i might do 2 lbs PB2.

Great beer but it needs some explaining before you serve it :D

I racked my Peanut Butter Brown concoction to secondary last night and the peanut butter flavor was pretty mellow. Will definitely double to amount in the boil next time and shoot for 6 gallons in the fermenter - holy trub loss! Do you guys think I should add another 6.5 oz container of PB2 to secondary? It's in a carboy so I'm not sure the best way to add it and get it stirred in?

I racked my Peanut Butter Brown concoction to secondary last night and the peanut butter flavor was pretty mellow. Will definitely double to amount in the boil next time and shoot for 6 gallons in the fermenter - holy trub loss! Do you guys think I should add another 6.5 oz container of PB2 to secondary? It's in a carboy so I'm not sure the best way to add it and get it stirred in?

I wonder if it would be better to add the pb at flame out. I would think it would give you better flavor and aroma instead of boiling and degrading all the pb protiens. Also i wonder if the extra cocoa powder kills the pb as well.

I used 1 jar of PB2 and 1 jar of Herseys cocoa powder. Lots settled in secondary. Not a real strong taste of either. I think 2 jars of PB2 could be used!

To those saying the PB2 is subtle, you might be lucky. Since I initially bought a bulk pack I used some to make a sweet stout where I tried to scale back all the roastiness and cocoa to more accentuate the peanut flavors, but I just kegged it and the PB2 smells and tastes very vegetablely, more like boiled peanuts, without the strong roastiness as the primary flavor. Hopefully after it ages some that will mellow and blend better, but I don't think a lot of it fresh.

Don't you dare get Reese's Peanut Butter cups and beer blended, The universe will implode!

Latest posts

Back