airlock bubbled for less than a day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damian13

Reaction score
So I am brewing a weihenstephaner weisse clone (first brew ever) and after pitching the yeast (white labs 300) it took about 36 hours to show any airlock activity. The bubbling, however, lasted for less than a day. Is this okay? I dont want to take a hydrometer reading yet because I doubt the fermentation is done and i don't want to disturb the process but is it possible that it is stuck? I should say that it took me close to 2 hours to bring the wort under 80 (covered most of the time). Any advise?

Wait a week and check your gravity. You may have a leak in the seal of the bucket. Airlock activity is not always a sign of fermentation. Try the search function.

Wait a week and check your gravity. You may have a leak in the seal of the bucket. Airlock activity is not always a sign of fermentation. Try the search function.

+1 It doesn't take much of a leak to have this type of situation, only shows activity when it is working hard. If you have to take a look just see if you have any krausen....sure sign that it is/has been fermenting.

I did lower the temp from around 70 to around 64 once fermentation started. Could that have stopped the bubbling?

Definitely! That temperature change temporarily shocked the yeast and caused it to slow down, relax, all will be fine! Things will get back to normal and the beer will be fine, give it about 7-10 days from when fermentation actually began and then check your gravity:)

Thank you guys so much for your replies! I'm having freakouts pretty much about everything. I should probably just not open my fridge till next week.

Damian13 said:
Thank you guys so much for your replies! I'm having freakouts pretty much about everything. I should probably just not open my fridge till next week.

When you start to worry, have a beer, if you finish that beer and are still worried, have another. Repeat as necessary, you'll be fine...

My airlocks have barely shown activity for all of my brews, 11 total, and all but 1 has fermented all the way down. I try not to get too excited about that, but it is hard each time to think that the yeasts are doing what they are supposed to be with such little activity. Like others have said, relax and let them do their thing then check later.

As people say all the time on this forum - the airlock isn't a fermentation indicator - it's just a gas valve. Don't look at your airlock to determine what your beer is doing. Look at the krausen and the gravity.

It doesn't mess with the fermentation process to open it up too soon to take readings? How long should I wait?

I don't think you will effect the fermentation process. The risk of infection is the reason I 'try' not to open the bucket. I just started a Whiskey Barrel Stout and my blowoff was not bubbling after 4 days. Opened the lid and had foam, so I closed it and drank a few Torpedo clones. Like Ron Popeil says, 'Set it, and forget it!'!

Damian13 said:
It doesn't mess with the fermentation process to open it up too soon to take readings? How long should I wait?

No it doesn't as long as you practice proper sanitation, I spray my hands and the lid with Star San prior to opening. But, as I stated earlier I would wait at Lear a week before doing anything, this will allow any remaining fermentation to finish and also give the beer a chance to clear and krausen to drop.

Back