Keg Storage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sea

Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What's the best way to store cornies?

I often just clean them, and put the lid on but I've also cleaned, sanitized, and pressurized. Taking the second option, am I okay to keg with it months later given the pressure holds? Or, do I need to re-sanitize then? What do you do?

Thanks.

when ever I get a new cornie i clean, deodorize, sanitize and presurize with sanitizer in it. then when it comes time to fill i empty, re-sanitize (it's only water right...) and fill.

every person has their own way. mine is similar to what you've stated.

with kegs, when i first get them, i do an overnight pbw soak, and clean all the posts, poppets, gaskets, and replace the gaskets usually, depending on condition and how they smell. gaskets are cheap, why ruin a batch of beer due to laziness and being too cheap with gaskets?

after i clean it, i rinse it out, and turn it upside down to dry. i will also do an overnight pressure test. if i lose pressure, i find the leak and fix it.

i let the keg completely dry, checking after a few days. once it is dry to my satisfaction, i pressurize it with maybe 15-20 psi, and leave it till i need to use it.

when i need to use it, i pull up on the manual pressure relief valve, and if i don't hear any pressure escaping, i know i have a leak, and i need to find it before i can use that keg again.

the main reason why i do things like this is because i have so many kegs (almost 40 now), so i can't remember things specifically about each keg. i store all my empty like this, and use it as an easy way to identify leaks before they become catastrophic. i try to fix everything when i first get a keg, but do this as a backup to ensure i don't lose any beer/wine/mead/cider. the wine and mead in particular would be very expensive if the keg were to leak out or something like that.

gnef said:
the main reason why i do things like this is because i have so many kegs (almost 40 now), so i can't remember things specifically about each keg.

Ok, I need a picture of this. 40 kegs? That's your whole 200 gallon allowance (if you were married :) )

haha. actually, i think it is 38 exactly, not all of them are full, but the majority are. i just lost a chest freezer, but it could only hold 4. my 22 cf chest freezer is still working and holds 13 kegs. my kegerator holds 6, and i have a number of kegs that are at room temp, unfortunately. i'm scrounging around on craigslist for a larger chest freezer now. if i could get another one around 22cf, that would let me hold most of my kegs in cold storage. it's funny. i already can't hold all my filled kegs in cold storage, and i have 15 gallons of hard cider conditioning right now waiting to go to kegs.

I believe I read somewhere on the forum that Palmer advocated storing them upside down and empty. If I have time I will look for the post.

Thanks for the replies.

So if a corny is cleaned, sanitized, and pressurized, would you use it months later if it held pressure? Or, would you re-sanitize first?

I would at least run some sanitizer through it. Just as a precautionary measure.

Cheers

I add a few inches of star san/ water mixture to the keg, shake and let sit. Before filling I just shake again, dump the star san and fill right on top of the foam.

Though I only have 7 kegs so maybe I'm an ameture!!!

gnef said:
haha. actually, i think it is 38 exactly, not all of them are full, but the majority are. i just lost a chest freezer, but it could only hold 4. my 22 cf chest freezer is still working and holds 13 kegs. my kegerator holds 6, and i have a number of kegs that are at room temp, unfortunately. i'm scrounging around on craigslist for a larger chest freezer now. if i could get another one around 22cf, that would let me hold most of my kegs in cold storage. it's funny. i already can't hold all my filled kegs in cold storage, and i have 15 gallons of hard cider conditioning right now waiting to go to kegs.
Get off your cheapass wallet...buck up a few clams for a membership...and get some pics posted to the gallery.... :D

EdWort said:
That's your whole 200 gallon allowance (if you were married :) )

200 gallon allowance? Hmmmmph. Never heard of that one. ;)

Back