Straining fruit before addition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

octo

Reaction score
I have some canned tart cherries in water I want to add to my berliner weiss. Should I strain the water out of the cans before addition? Or have the sugars from the fruit infused with the water? I dont want to dilute my already low abv drink more than necessary. Thanks.

Also, is it cool to just add straight from the can? I wasnt really worried about it, but I figure I might as well ask.

I don't think it will dilute it much. You still have sugars in the cherries that will ferment out - adding more to what you have. Of course, you could buy cherries not in water if you are that concerned. Or do it traditional and just add syrup to the beverage.

I've already got the canned cherries, theyre "Comstock tart cherries in water". The cans are 14 oz each, so I was going to add like 3 cans, I suppose there isnt much water in there and that once it re-ferments the differences would probably be negligible. I dont want to do syrup the syrup route. Thanks for your input.

"Comstock tart cherries in water". .

I would highly suggest NOT adding those to your beer, get ahold of some quality fruit or juice and use that instead. Ive eaten those in a pie, and they taste nothing like the types of cherries I would want in my beer

Get some of this juice - Its relatively cheap and has a great flavor, no dilution with syrup and no extra sugar

Ive ordered and used that juice from them several times and been nothing but pleased with the results.

are you sure youve had the tart cherries and not the cherry pie filling? they make a cherry pie filling also that is loaded with corn syrup. The ingredients in these are just water and cherries. Granted, I've never tried tart cherries in general. So I havent a clue really.

I have a can of the cherries in water right now. I recommendtwo things, ! if you are going to use them just dump the whole cans in no need to worry about the water more then enough natural sugar in the cherries to counteract any dilution. 2. taste a cherry before you add them. They art tart cherries and do not taste 'cherry' in the sense that most people would expect.they work excellent for making semi-sweet european desserts

I dumped them in. I noticed that the water seemed to take a lot of the cherry juice out of the cherries, so i just dumped it all in. I did taste them first, and yeah they didnt taste cherry like I thought, but oh well they didnt taste bad. They had a hint of cherry flavor but mostly just tartness. I put 4 cans in.

Back