Chicago Homebrew Club

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwbrews

Reaction score
A few friends and I decided to start a homebrewing club in Chicago...we realize there are other clubs out there, but felt that they were not in the areas where we lived - mainly downtown, west side, and northside of Chicago.

We also wanted to offer something that is at a premium to many people in a city, space...a lot of folks want to brew but can not because of space or landlord restrictions. The group we formed, CHAOS, is setup to be a community for brewers (as well as those who would like to learn to brew or just love beer) in Chicago both online and offline. We are working on building out space to host meetings and allow those with "restrictions" to brew freely.

We are run purely by members and hope to have more sub groups formed...so far we are sharing recipes in a group and growing hops. But, would like to form sub groups for things like beer trading, beer/bar night group, beer tastings, etc. There are a few members interested in barrel aging to....hopefully we can get a group brew going and fill a barrel to do a barrel aged beer.

Check it out here http://www.CHAOSbrewclub.ning.com

dwbrews said:
A few friends and I decided to start a homebrewing club in Chicago...we realize there are other clubs out there, but felt that they were not in the areas where we lived - mainly downtown, west side, and northside of Chicago.

We also wanted to offer something that is at a premium to many people in a city, space...a lot of folks want to brew but can not because of space or landlord restrictions. The group we formed, CHAOS, is setup to be a community for brewers (as well as those who would like to learn to brew or just love beer) in Chicago both online and offline. We are working on building out space to host meetings and allow those with "restrictions" to brew freely.

We are run purely by members and hope to have more sub groups formed...so far we are sharing recipes in a group and growing hops. But, would like to form sub groups for things like beer trading, beer/bar night group, beer tastings, etc. There are a few members interested in barrel aging to....hopefully we can get a group brew going and fill a barrel to do a barrel aged beer.

Check it out here httpe://www.CHAOSbrewclub.ning.com

Mr Williams, you have a typo in your link. That extra "e" kills your link.

Glad someone finally stepped up to do this in the city. (I've been waiting at least a full week, since I did my first brew)

Just signed up.

yeah. This thread was started in April. Chaos has been building since then and if I can say so myself, turning into a real community instead of just an idea. Our first fundraiser will be Oct. 15th and we've all been doing a lot to prepare. We've done several group brews, several happy-hours, and many monthly wing-nights. We have two 10 gallon barrels full and a third is about to be filled. We recently brewed for the Hoptacular event and had a raging good time doing it! We're also looking into doing things like training members in BJCP guidelines and starting up a yeast-ranch.

We're shifting location to a much bigger place to acommodate our growth. That means annual dues will be going up from 25 to 40 pops in November. Check it out soon and buy in before November if you're interested in having access to a cool place to brew, equipment to use for all-grain, group buys on hops and grain. We'll also be getting discounts at a local brew shop soon for all card-carrying members.

Where in the Chicago area do you meet? I'm up near O'Hare and looking for a group nearby.

We're moving spaces from 914 N. California to Ogden and Grand. We meet up in various places, bars in Wicker Park, Humboldt, etc... and other times places further up north, and sometimes further south (I think some of us are maybe going to marias in bridgeport where our next happy hour will be). Our members live in many different places around Chicago but our 'headquarters are at 1329 W. Grand. It'd be nice to see you if it's not too far for you.

Great, thanks! I might have to try to get out to a meeting sometime in the next couple months.

Flatspin, from ohare, you can easily get here via the blue line. We are a short walk to the chicago /milwaukee stop. Cheers

Fantastic, I can even sample a few beers on occasion then. One thing not mentioned on your website is the time of the next meeting.

Sorry about that! We are rather short handed at the moment; too few of us are doing too many things. Just keep watching the events and/or come to the Ides of Cider event we're having on October 15th to meet the crew and get involved.

Meetings are the first sunday of every month at 5:30 PM at 1329 W. Grand. If you're interested in hanging out before then check out the events on our website. We're having a wing night at High Dive on Tuesday. That usually has a decent turn out.

Sounds great! I was actually thinking the other day that some wings sounded really good. I'll show up for a couple hours (5:30am comes pretty early...)

did you make it out? I had to work and just realized that there was no way you could tell who the C.H.A.O.S. people at High Dive were.

Yeah, I actually did make it out. The group from CHAOS was pretty easy to find. Thanks for the invite, the people (and the wings) were great. I'm going to try to make it to Sunday's meeting also.

Thanks again to Dave, Iggy, and Jim.

Back