New Planet clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone have a clone for Off The Grid Ale from New Planet. It's hoppier than their regular GF beer. My wife loves it. I've got to brew it for her. Thanks.

Hi Telebrewer,

Unfortunately they don't distribute down here so I don't know what it tastes like. But I would start with the info on their website.

Beer DetailsMade with Sorghum, Brown Rice Extract, Molasses, Tapioca Maltodextrin, Caramel Color, Hops, Yeast
5% ABV
12 Fluid Ounces / 4 Packs
170 Calories

So I'd say a combination of Sorghum and Brown Rice extract, maybe 75/25 up to 5% ABV
Molasses is a strong flavour so use a very small amount.
Tapioca maltodextrine to bring up the body.
Caramel Colour, I'd omit this. Or if you want the same colour, use amber belgian candy syrup in it's place. Hoping to do this for a 5am saint clone.
Hops, no idea. You'll have to follow your nose on this one. Dry hopping to get that great aroma going.
Yeast, I'd use US-05 - American Ale Yeast.

Maybe start at 30 - 35 IBU and increase/decrease as you see fit.

Hop this helps.

Thanks spaced,

I agree with you on everything. It will my next GF home brew. I'll post results.

Anyone have any idea how long sorghum extract will last in the refer?

Thanks.

[QUOTE

Anyone have any idea how long sorghum extract will last in the refer?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I buy my sorghum in 60 lb pails. I break it down into 3 lb increments and freeze it. I have used extract that has been in the freezer for several months and to me, there is no discernable difference in taste of sorghum extract that has been frozen versus extract that hasn't been frozen.

I was told by the LHBS that in fridge extracts (including Sorghum) is fine for 6 months and in the freezer pretty much as long as you like (as long as protected from freezer burn)

Back