Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMcGuinness

Reaction score
How long can my bottles go unrefridgerated? I bottled a black ipa one week ago and it has carbed up beautifully. It's getting kinda warm on my house lately, around 70-75 degrees. Can it survive in that or should I call it good and throw um in the fridge?

Leave it. 70-75F is exactly the temp you want to bottle condition for the first ~3 weeks anyway.

If it got really hot and you got concerned, you could throw them in the fridge (since you say it's already carbed) and it would be fine too, it's just that some of the benefits that come with conditioning might take a little longer.

As to how long they can go for... a long ass time. If it were cooler, say 55-60, we're talking many months, even years for higher gravity styles. At 70-75, I probably wouldn't want them sitting at that temp for months, but a few weeks? Not a problem.

Average gravity beers should condition at least 3 weeks at 70F or so. Maybe longer,depending on gravity,even the malt profile ime. So,at that point chill a couple for a few days,then see what it needs.

After a week it'll have foam on the top, but probably won't be fully carbonated for a couple more weeks. Plus, flavors change really dramatically (for the better) between weeks 2-4 after bottling. Leave 'em be for the time being - patience here is really rewarded.

Just as a data point, I had an IPA that I accidentally added about half again more corn sugar than I would have liked (I measured the corn sugar correctly, but had severely underestimated how much beer I would lose to the whole leaf dry hops, d'oh...) After a little over a week, the carbonation was starting to get a bit much for my liking, so I transferred it to the fridge. That beer's been my biggest success so far -- in fact, my wife and I have had to resolve not to drink any more so that we'll have any left for a party we're having on July 3rd!

But that was an exceptional case. If you didn't over-prime, then yeah, just wait please.

Once the beer has been carbed up the beer will last a long time. The style will in large part determine how it tastes the older it gets. I had a stout that I had misplaced and opened after about three years...if was great. I have a porter that I kept for two years...tasted fine but not the way it tasted when it was much fresher. On the other hand I now don't keep any light beers or those that are high hopped any more than 90 days...the flavor changes too much. I can keep browns for up to about a year with no real change in taste. I have an ESB that I kept for over 9 months and think it was actualy better than when it was fresher. I brew one Belgin Double that I don't start drinking until after 90 days of conditioning. I keep all my bottles in my basement where the temp will range from about 62 in the winter and 68 in the summer.

Higher temps result in faster spoilage but I'd expect a fe months at those temps and you'll be fine. Keep in mind, it's not just the temperature, but the changes in temperature, that drives spoilage. A constant 75 is better than fluctuations between 60 and 70 degrees for example.

Latest posts

Back