Helles Bock Floor Kill Ale (Maibock...ish)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
PacMan
Yeast Starter
3L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 or more to clear
Floor Kill Ale

26 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US
8 lbs Munich Malt - 20L
4 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
2.00 oz Pearle [8.00%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) 18.5 IBU
2.00 oz Saaz [4.00%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) 9.2 IBU
2.00 oz Pearle [8.00%] (20 min) 10.2 IBU
2.00 oz Saaz [4.00%] (20 min) 5.1 IBU
2.00 oz Saaz [4.00%] (5 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)
3.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)
1 Pkgs Rogue PacMan (Wyeast Labs)

Est Original Gravity: 1.069 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.3%
Bitterness: 42.9 IBU
Est Color: 16.1 SRM

Single infusion mash around 154 degrees F.

Yes, it's an ale...but it's similar to Dead Guy, which is Rogue's Americanized Maibock, so I posted under the Bock style.

This beer is absolutely awesome. If I had to compare it to a commercial brew, it's like Sam Adams lager with more flavor/body and a touch of alcohol warmth.

Do you remember what temp you stored this at for primary and/or secondary? Was it mid or lower end of an ale?

wow i just might try this on my first brew i would like to do a Texas bock lager but i don't have refrigeration equipment . my wife likes it rather worm so i still question where im going to store it wile brewing but this could work!

I brewed this a couple of months ago, with a couple of modifications. I used belgian pilsner for my base malt, and cara 45 instead of the crystal 60 (LHBS was out). I also subbed Northern Brewer for the Perle hops, and did a single decoction (more for color than flavor - I doubt it affected the flavor much). Finally, I used S-05 yeast.

The beer has been in bottles for a couple of weeks now (not fully carbed), but I shared a bottle with a buddy tonight, and it was awesome. Great malty flavor and aroma, just the right amount of sweetness (and pretty decent color). I'm hoping the alcohol flavor mellows with a bit more aging, but it's pretty close to perfect right now.

mashing this recipe today....wow great aroma!
if this tastes as good as it smells while mashing it will be delicious.

Bought the ingredients for this yesterday, a 2.5 gallon batch. Hope to through it together this weekend. Going with Notty for the yeast, it's what I have on hand. Rock on.

I brewed this yesterday. It's fermenting like crazy right now. Can't wait to taste it. Does anyone have a picture of what the final product looks like? If not I will post one in a few weeks when mine's done.

I just tried this last night - it's awesome, possibly my best brew yet. I used Safale 04 because its what I have on hand. Fermented in the low 60s using a swamp cooler. I'm having my second one now and really enjoying it. Thanks for sharing this great recipe!

I attached a pic if anyone wants to see what the finished product (or at least my attempt at it) looks like.

image.jpg

Back