Heading to San Diego at the end of the month...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malvado78

Reaction score
Will be flying in and the driving out to Yuma, Az.

2 questions:

1. Anyone know the best place to pick up some Pliny around the Airport?
2. Ideas of brews/breweries to try in Yuma?

Will be flying in and the driving out to Yuma, Az.

2 questions:

1. Anyone know the best place to pick up some Pliny around the Airport?
2. Ideas of brews/breweries to try in Yuma?

If you're driving out to Yuma, you have a few options, all which are freeway close. 1. Best Damn Beer Shop in downtown SD might have it. 2. There are two stores off the 8 called Windmill Farms and K&B Wine Cellars that are next door to each other. 3. You could try Whole Foods in Hillcrest. Oh! 4. Olive Tree in Ocean Beach isn't that bad from where you will be, and might be your best bet for fresh stock.

That said, Pliny always runs out. For it to be available might be lucky, and if a store other than a heavily trafficked store has it, I'd check the date on it to make sure it isn't old. Call or email any of them to see what they have. BDBS and Olive Tree will probably hold stuff for you. It'll be cheapest at Windmill Farms.

And you should also plan to stop in Alpine on your way to Yuma to go to Alpine Brew Co's pub. They have some of the best hoppy beer in the county, and they're right on the way.

If you're driving out to Yuma, you have a few options, all which are freeway close. 1. Best Damn Beer Shop in downtown SD might have it. 2. There are two stores off the 8 called Windmill Farms and K&B Wine Cellars that are next door to each other. 3. You could try Whole Foods in Hillcrest. Oh! 4. Olive Tree in Ocean Beach isn't that bad from where you will be, and might be your best bet for fresh stock.

That said, Pliny always runs out. For it to be available might be lucky, and if a store other than a heavily trafficked store has it, I'd check the date on it to make sure it isn't old. Call or email any of them to see what they have. BDBS and Olive Tree will probably hold stuff for you. It'll be cheapest at Windmill Farms.

And you should also plan to stop in Alpine on your way to Yuma to go to Alpine Brew Co's pub. They have some of the best hoppy beer in the county, and they're right on the way.

Great. Thanks for the responses. This trip actually got pushed to 10/11. So I will be checking these out. May call ahead the weekend before to make sure they have in stock.

Well I did end up at the BDBS. Great place. Bought Pliny, Blind Pig, Temptation, Alpine Duet, and Exponential Hopiness.

Now don't get me wrong. Pliny is great! I loved it. But I made a clone that ended a little sweeter that the Pliny and I think I liked the clone better.

The next day I drank the Alpine Duet. Hands done one of the best beers I have ever had. So flavorful, smooth and drinkable. Delicious.

I plan on stopping by the Alpine Brewery on the way back to SD on friday.

Then making another stop at the BDBS before going back to the airport.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Any idea where I could find a bottle of Deschutes Abyss? Didn't see any at BDBS. They have said they have trouble keeping on the shelf. Might stop for dinner at Downtown Johnny Browns for dinner and it looks liek there is a possibility of them having it on tap there. But I would really like to take a bottle home to share with some friends.

Secondly...
Anybody ever do any Alpine clones??? Have a recipe???

I missed this when it was posted. Abyss is seasonal and not easy to find when it isn't the time of year for it. I haven't seen it in stores for a while, so you didn't really miss it when you were here because it wasn't available.

I've never seen a clone of Duet. Maybe email the guys at Alpine for hints?

Our original single IPA made with Simcoe and Amarillo hops “in harmony.” 1.065 OG 45 IBU 7%ABV

Seems like it'd be a pretty easy recipe to put together.

I missed this when it was posted. Abyss is seasonal and not easy to find when it isn't the time of year for it. I haven't seen it in stores for a while, so you didn't really miss it when you were here because it wasn't available.

I've never seen a clone of Duet. Maybe email the guys at Alpine for hints?

Our original single IPA made with Simcoe and Amarillo hops “in harmony.” 1.065 OG 45 IBU 7%ABV

Seems like it'd be a pretty easy recipe to put together.

Yeah that is what I learned about Abyss.
A friend was out that way a few weeks before me and Down Town Johnny Browns had a keg of last years on tap.
But not when I went. Asked them if they kicked one while I was there if they could put it on. They said they had special plans for the one(s) remaining... :mad:

But yeah I had started on a recipe and in my search came across a BeerAdvocate Forum Post when someone was looking for a Nelson recipe. Danny from Alpine piped in and told the poster to send him an email and he could give some help so i am planning on trying that. Just not going to happen really quickly.

Thanks for the post.

Back